We're considering some meat birds...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chick_a_dee, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We're considering ordering some meat birds this year in addition to our order from Performance Poultry (getting the meaties from the co-op order to Freys).

First, what kind of accomodation would they be in need of? I don't want to build a whole new coop for them as they'll arrive beginning of the summer and be in the freezer by the end of august. I also don't want to put them in with the layers. I have a large poultry yard, but I also do have predators and this IS Canada so anything is possible weather wise LOL.

I was considering a hoop coop or something similar or even just a run. What kind of shelter would they need? and how about roosts?

Also, at what age can I put them outside, they'll be dead around 8 weeks but they cannot stay in the house until then as I know they're stinky.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd do the hoop/run movable tractor where one end is covered.

3. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I have recommended to others the same as what I have used. I got my hands on an old swingset frame, covered it in chicken wire, and put a tarp over 3/4 of it to keep out the rain and such. I made a simple door out of an old pallet that leans up against the end (keep the bottom tight to the frame and use some rope hooked over a nail driven only part way in to the top of the pallet). As for Predators, I would add some heavier wire around the bottom 3 feet or the whole way to ensure they stay out and don't get a hold of them. No need for roosts with meat breeds, they will get too heavy too fast and don't develop real wings for flying. I used a large rectangular carbage can for the "coop" for the chicks. Once they got to be about a week or two old, they didn't go in it, they just stayed outside but under the tarped area. Keep it simple and inexpensive, they are low maintenance birds, but taste really good!!

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

mine
    [​IMG]

5. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I really like your little run, that looks fantastic! I was thinking along the lines of something like that.

6. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    jaku, What are the dimensions of your tractor?

7. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I'm interested in these replies too. I am also considering meat birds. Does anyone bring them somewhere else to be butchered and dressed or does everyone do "the deed" themselves? If you bring them somewhere, what is the average cost per bird? This a great thread. Thanks for bringing it up. the swingset idea sounds great!

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:I have mine processed for $1.65-$2.00 plus $.25 each if you want them halved.I do mine in batches of 25-50 for that amount I'm happy to pay the price.One guy I use has them bagged and frozen solid when I pick them up.
    I see your from Putnam County.Have you ever heard of Haviland Hollow now called Patterson,NY.I believe my ansestors settled there when they first landed in the New World. Will

9. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Quote:I generally take mine to a processer. The first one I used cost about $2.25 per bird, plus $.25 per pound over 5 pounds, and there was only one option, whole birds with the neck and gizzards bagged up and stuffed inside each bird, and frozen solid. Then I found an amish family in the area that does it for a flat $2.00 a bird any way I want them. I have to supply a couple coolers and several bags of ice then I take them home and put them in the freezer after bagging them up the way I want them (and it is only a couple miles from my front door!!) I found them by a small hand written sign at a local Agway. For me, I would gladly pay a few bucks a bird to have someone else do all the messy nasty work, but I have butchered a few myself, but I skin them rather than scald, pluck, pluck, pluck, scald, pluck, pluck, pluck......

10. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I called a local farm that I know sells freshly butchered organic birds. They do process chickens, but they charge $7 per bird! I know I live in an expensive area, but that's crazy if you guys are paying $2 - $3. I will have to make some more phone calls. Do you have any ideas of where I could look for a small local place to do the processing? I suppose the feed store, but the problem is no one else around here has any chickens. They don't sell them at the feed stores in the spring like I here most towns have, and there are no Amish around here.

Will, Yes, I live at the southern end of Putnam County. Patterson is in the Northern half, about 45 minutes north of my home. Nice farm land there, but it's starting to get built up, just like everything that's within 1 1/2 hours of NYC! Sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by