We're finally ready for rainy Oregon winter. Are you? *pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tedabug, Oct 22, 2010.

1. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My goodness, what a lot of work and I don't even want to know how much my fresh eggs cost, but the winterizing is done! We get a ton of rain in Oregon, so the run is lined with 5 inches of sand mixed with bark chips at the suggestion of BYC friends. They have a heated water dish, DE mixed with sand throughout coop and run with hay on top to 'cozy' together on. I lined the sides of the coop with plastic carpet runners for a wind break, rain protection and to help keep heat in at night when the heat lamp is on. (reptile bulb - only 50 watts, not going to burn the birds!). They now have a flood lamp throughout the side yard until 8pm as our daylight has shrunk immensely. The screen is out and window in for warmth. They have a covered dust bathing area with soil, sand, and DE. Trying to grow a little grass for greenery. I know they just eat it all! Makes the eggs taste good! I have a new and proper fence to keep them in, although we had to clip a few wings last night. The best part? Pavers so I can sneak out the dining room window and retrieve eggs in my slippers without getting sandy or poopy! Bring on the rains...*whew*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. You ARE well prepared!

However, let me give you a head's up about those pavers you think will keep your slippers poop & sand free: Nah ah!! Chickens will poop on the pavers. Mine do.

3. tedabug

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    So true! At least I can see the poop though. It's so hard to see on the ground. I got small pavers because when they are standing on them, their butts hang off the side. I've had one poop in two weeks on the paver itself. Not too bad. They prefer the wood block border, but I'm sure they will poop everything up nicely. They always do! ha ha

4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Looks great and GO DUCKS!!! [​IMG]

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Looking great! I am glad you got your mud problems all worked out before the rainy season.

I would also like to point out to anyone not from Oregon that only the West 3rd of the state gets rain. Central (where I live) and Eastern Oregon is a high desert and very dry.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Looks good! [​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Ah nerts, i haven't even started my winterizing and the first big storm is supposed to hit this weekend.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    BEAUTIFUL SET-UP!!! [​IMG]

Oh and how funny, I do the whole waterer on a catbox too! lol

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wow. I'm so jealous!! And BEAUTIFUL chickens! Isn't that a pure ameraucana? Very prettttyyyy
    Luckily I don't have to winterize my coop because I'm in Georgia!!! [​IMG] oh wait scratch that.... I have to cover up two of the vents [​IMG] lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
  10. tedabug

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for all the responses! Sorry Bend, Oregon. You are much more dry that us for sure. Much more COLD too! Brrr. Now that's weather. I have a cousin with 5 chickens in Bend. They seem to do fine. Yes, Go Ducks! OK, I went to OSU, but can't mess with the Ducks this year. They can't be beat! (We'll see about Civil War - ha ha) Lastly, my girl Tilly is an ameraucana, though I don't know how pure bred she is. She was a replacement for a pullet turned rooster! A local egg farmer traded her for my pure-bred Brahma Roo. She's a pretty little black bearded thing. We love her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by