We're getting 11 duckling... And all I have is the internet, and a magazine... I need real duck owne

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvmypets, Mar 18, 2013.

1. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Like I said in the title, we're getting 11 ducklings. They are hatching on March 25 and I'm so excited I can barely breath. We are getting them from McMurray Hatchery. Me my dad and my brother are receiving them very soon. We are getting 6 Swedish, half black st. run and half blue females. Next we are getting 3 buff orphintons, all st. run. And finally we are getting 2 Cayugas, also st. run. So yeah I'm doing whatever it takes to keep them alive. Tips, advice, do's and dont's, anything to help me keep my baby's alive.

[​IMG]it's supposed to be a duck...XD

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    That is super exciting! Feel free to ask any question you like and we will do our best to answer!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    1 person likes this.
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

what do you have for shelter? a run/pen.. as said your likely going to have to many drakes and will need a backup plan on how to remedy this.

What do you want want from ducks? knowing your primary goal really helps in getting things set up well. [​IMG]

5. luvmypets

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Oh right...Me and my dad made a box of some plywood. Of course as they get bigger we will move them to larger accommodations. Thanks for the advice about drakes though. I'll tell my dad about that so we don't kill the females. I'm going to join 4-h and once are ducklings are grown I want to hatch their baby's naturally. Maybe I'll show them...Of course this will take a while but patience is virtue. oh and last but not least there main uses are for catching bugs and laying eggs. Anyhow thanks for the advice...

luvmypets

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. luvmypets

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Are there any diseases that can kill a whole flock of ducklings?
    Also are duck eggs good?
    Whats a good temp. for the heat lamp?
    is straw a good bedding for day old ducks?
    Is McMurray hatchery a reliable company to get from?
    also is a plywood box with a chicken wire lid a good home for them?
    Just one more thing r they cute...

JK...There all cute

7. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Well I can answer a few of those! As long as you take good care of them-feed well,keep clean and spend time with- diseases are not too much of a worry. At least they never have been for me. Duck eggs are very good. They are much fattier than a chicken egg. Better scrambled fried or cooked into something than they are boiled though! Straw is o.k. You need to be sure that it is clean. I actually use newspaper and that no-slip stuff that is for inside your drawers. I personally have never ordered from that hatchery but have heard good reviews. The heat lamp should be around 98-100 degrees the first couple day's and your box sounds great. Good job building it! And yes they are all cute! Remember not to worry to much and take the time to enjoy them. It sounds like you will be a wonderful keeper of ducks. Keep up the good work!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

9. luvmypets

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Hi um just one more question...We have a nice barn that we visit quite often to feed our sheep collect eggs and let our chickens out...Should we leave our ducks there. Or should we keep them at our house so we can keep an eye on them. Cause there coming as day olds and if one died i would be [​IMG]need sugestions.

thanks luvmypets

10. luvmypets

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Thanks so much I can barely wait. Cause their my birthday present next week. I rather ducks than clothes and makeup...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by