We're Getting a Nigerian Dwarf Goat! *UPDATE: Got Her!*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We are zoned for small livestock in our new home (well, pretty new, moved here just last year). My husband and i have talked about getting a goat or miniature sheep or alpaca. Saw an ad on our local craigslist about a cute little goat that needs a new home. Responded to the ad and got a reply that we sounded like the best fit. Yippee!

[​IMG]

Sooooooooo, now i need some direction. Can anyone recommend a good site on goat care? Is there a great book on All About Goats? Does there happen to be a backyardgoats.com site somewhere?

i think i have a huge learning curve here!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  2. lilhill

lilhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Alabama
    Now you need to shop for another little goat for a buddy. Goats are herd animals and do best with a buddy, preferrably another goat. There are lots of sites out there, including www.goattalk.com to help you raise your baby. Congratulations!

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree with lilhill...Goattalk.com is the best ...been there for years...[​IMG]

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
  5. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
  6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    And another good goat site is: http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/index.php

Try
    them all and find which works best for you.

You really, really, really need to get two goats. As mentioned, they are very social, herd animals and need another goat as a friend. It keeps them happier and healthier and you will have much less chance of your goat spending it's time trying to get over, through, under, around your fence.

You do have a great fence right? Goats need the best fencing... don't skimp and do it right the first time. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Congrats. You're going to love goats.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thanks for all the great links! Soooooooooo, we need another goat, right? [​IMG] But, would another small farm animal be able to provide appropriate companionship? Maybe an alpaca or small sheep? Or would you all strongly recommend another goat period?

On the fencing, the person from whom i'm adopting her said she keeps her in a pen in her barn and she has a large dog igloo for shelter. She's dehorned. i currently have a 8' x 13' chain link kennel on order from Lowes (they're having a 20% off sale on all kennels through today). And we have a 6' x 6' shed that we haven't put together yet. Does it sound like those things will work? i would want to have her out free ranging in our yard when i'm there to supervise. We have good fences on about 60% of our yard. The backside of our lot has weird pieced-together fencing, lots of different kinds of old wire fences with overgrown vines growing through them. We have three neighbors across the back. It sounds as if we may want to construct a sturdy fence all across the back at some point soon.

Oh gosh, hope i can handle all this!

8. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    First... You'll handle it and love every minute of it! Goats are great!
    [​IMG]
    The shelter/fencing sounds good so far. You will expand their pen as you learn them.

Goats are herd animals as you have read thus far in your thread. To answer your question, Will they need another goat or will another animal work out. Maybe, but probably not. I do have several goats who have adopted our holstein calf, but sheep and goats don't seem to want to have a lot to do with one another. Our goats tend to even herd by breed. The Nigerians with the Nigerians, the Pygmies with the Pygmies, but the Nubians and the Boers seem herd up together. Try what you can and go with what works!

Chris

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Your shelter and fencing sounds good. You may have to tie the bottom of the chain link kennel to the ground so the goats don't lift it and get underneath.

For a shelter the biggest issue is to keep the wind and rain/snow out. The size sounds fine for two goats if they have time out, like you have said, regularly. I think it's too small for a permanent home for them. If goats get bored... they get into trouble so having more space with toys is important for them.

Alpacas are also herd animals - even more so than goats. Alpacas have been known to literally get sick and die when by themselves. They have to have another Alpaca or possible a Llama. So I wouldn't suggest getting one of those either.

You will love the antics of two little Nigis bouncing around. They will be best friends and be so happy to have each other. Try to get another goat close to the same age and size and without horns also.

Yes, it does sound like you will need to do some fixing of your back fence when you can.

Have fun!

10. lilhill

lilhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Alabama
    If you have her free ranging in your yard, make sure there are no toxic plants in there. So many of our beautiful shrubs/flowers are very toxic to goats and can kill. There's an online list of plants that are toxic to goats. You can google and get the list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by