We're gonna play a li'l game... Pullet Or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HHandbasket, Jun 14, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

This is Colby. She/he is a cross between EITHER a blue or black jersey giant hen OR blue wyandotte hen AND an EE roo. She was 3 months old as of this last weekend. She is acting very much like a she, but those tail feathers totally look like roo feathers to me.

[​IMG]

I posted about her/him once before, and the general concensus was that this is a pullet. It has been a few weeks, and I need to post her/him up for sale. I still don't know (darn peacomb crossbreeds... make this part SO difficult).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    i think it looks like a pullet
    Its really pretty [​IMG]

3. Lisa7907

Lisa7907 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    I don't see any roo feathers. I think you have a beautiful pullet there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I think she's a pullet - rounded saddle feathers and a 3 month old roo would have a bigger comb than that.

5. LawChick

LawChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm quite reluctant to guess, since I am new to the world of chickens, and my initial flock of eleven hens turned out to be six roosters (SIX!) and five hens, since corrected to one rooster and nine hens. My birds were about three months old when I bought them in April, and the long-time-chicken raisers were shocked that so many were roosters! I was, too!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pullet

7. HHandbasket

I think what I was perceiving as a "curve" in the tail feathers (i.e., why I thought she might be a roo) is the natural curve of the tailfeathers that Jersey Giants have, which she does have in her parentage. These are my first JGs. I also have one that's half black JG & EE (the EE roo in Linda's yard *really* gets around LOL).

I have another chicken I'm trying to get a picture of and will post here today. I can't figure out what she is either... we totally thought she was a pullet, carries herself like one... woke up one day with a big, red peacomb and thick legs! (EE/delaware cross... again, that EE gets around...)

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Wow, what a pretty bird! She's definitely the Jersey Giant x EE mix. She'll probably be gigantic (if she isn't already). What a beautiful black muff she has too!

I agree with the others, she's not showing a scrap of roo. I wonder what color eggs she'll start laying...

9. HHandbasket

For not being a roo, she sure is trying to mount all the other pullets in the yard. [​IMG]

10. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Are you sure she's trying to mount and not just establishing a pecking order? I have an americana pullet that jumps on my hens all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by