We're gonna start our Coturnix quail house tomorrow. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TennesseeTruly, Jul 2, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    They're actually going to be housed about 20 feet outside my back door and I'm thinking something similar to a rabbit hutch type. Right now I only have 7 Coturnix. 3 Jumbo Brown, 3 Whites, and 1 Tuxedo. No idea on sex yet. They're about 3 weeks old, I think.

Any tips to help us with this build tomorrow??

Thanks in advance!

Laurie

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Rabbit Hutch Style Is Perfect. Only Strong Suggestion Is 1/2 Inch Hardware Cloth Complete Wrap--- Floor And All External Walls If You Will.... Coturnix Arent Too Bright, This Makes Them Easy Picking For A Predator If Using Chicken Wire.

3. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I built a quail pen that is 3'x8'x4'high (from quail floor). I recommend putting a netting cloth on top and then the wire, it lets in light but no too much. Also, if you can put in a type of house for them with ventilation, they like to hide sometimes.
    My quail pen is actually 2 pens in one, basically split it in half so I can have different quail on each side. I also put in 2 doors on each side, 1 big one to access the open area, and another one to access the house area to collect eggs and put in fresh hay.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    4 Ft Tall Leaves Alot Of Room For Broken Necks

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We're definitely going to use hardware cloth because our home is surrounded on all sides by woods. We have 35 acres of woods and on the other side of the road there's over 100 acres of woods. Lots of predators here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by