We're having a hard time molting! Pictures

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by willkatdawson, Oct 6, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Everyone is molting and I've seen a good number of feathers floating across the lawn and in the coop, but I can't believe how hard it hit one of our hens. We look at her and just have to laugh. When we go down in the morings to let them out to free range it looks like a chicken exploded under the roost where she sits!

Oprah and Sweetie are looking a little thin but OK
    [​IMG]

and Millie looks a little few of feathers as my DD puts it
    [​IMG]

Poor Albert's wife. She's a wreck!! She looks like some kind of spikey dinosaur with her feathers growing in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    One of my EE's is molting and she looks wayyyyy worse... I seriously thought she was attacked by something .. But then everyday she got a lil uglier...

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    OH poor girl. She's a trainwreck. Just like my Sweetness. And they seem to know it too, don't they?

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Awww! They're still cute anyway! [​IMG]

5. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:She does know she looks really bad. Today in the middle of the day I found her on the roost all by herself. It wasn't long after and she joined the group outside.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine are just as bad! I've never had them molt quite like this before.

7. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    LOL i feel bad for em when they molt LOL theyre soooo much more pretty when theyre laying and have the big bright combs and just look all happy [​IMG]

8. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    My chickens are also moulting very horribly and it seems like it is much worse this year. I wonder if it was anything to do with the upcoming winter.

9. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I just hope none of the others decide to lose so many feathers all at once. I'd worry they might get cool at night.

10. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I am so glad you posted that picture! I have a buckeye that really looks like she has something way worse than a molt. Mine are really molting hard and fast. I was quite surprised at the fast onset. Could it be that they are better forcasters than the weathermen?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by