Were is...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by supermommy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. supermommy

supermommy Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    your hens favorite place to lay eggs? I have just started getting 1 egg a day (second day). Im very suprised that both eggs are in the same nest box, and furthermore that it was even layed in the nest box..lol I know its the same hen because its the same color and size.

So were do you normally find your eggs?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

under blankets, under trees, in the high grass, in a hole and sometimes if I'm lucky in the nesting box. So pretty much my chickens favorite place is anywhere so they can watch me look for hidden eggs.

3. supermommy

supermommy Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    [​IMG] [​IMG] oh geeze thats what I have to look foward too.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have yet to find an egg that wasn't laid in the nest boxes. Certain hens have favorite boxes. My girls were on lockdown in the coop during the time most of them started laying so I think that's why they have always used their boxes.
    Several months after they started laying I added an enclosed box (really a covered kitty litter box) for my half blind hen on the floor on the coop. She doesn't use it, but it's the favorite box of several of the girls.

5. consdrs

consdrs Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have 9 hens they all want to lay in the same box... but they always lay in the box, thank goodness...

Connie

6. consdrs

consdrs Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have 9 hens they all want to lay in the same box... but they always lay in the box, thank goodness...

Connie

double post?! don't know how that happend... oops

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. GrannySue

GrannySue Songster

Mine all lay in nest boxes. 10 hens, 5 spaces but it's not uncommon to see 3 girls in 1 box! Right now I have a broody Australorp who is trying to hatch out 2 nice smooth stones I gave her. She's using a nest box which a couple of other girls like as well. For the first few days she wouldn't let anyone near her but then she got smart - now she welcomes them in and then pulls their eggs under her.

8. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    mine all lay in 3 outta our like 10 nest boxes XD sometimes theres up to 3 in one box! [​IMG]

but our goofball silkies lay in the highest 3 boxes and brood there for AGES!!! [​IMG]

9. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I have a wall that can hold 3 nesting boxes, but Mom only put 2 in. Often my chickies will lay 1 in the nesting box and 2 in the middle of the empty space. Weird.

10. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:That's a good idea-I've been really concerned about mine using their boxes, lockdown might be the ticket! Not that they've started laying yet, but we're so close!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: