We're looking at a pony today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frozen Feathers, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I think I've lost my mind...lol. It's a 9 year sorrel Shetland gelding. He's super cute (from the pictures) and hopefully well behaved. The lady is saying he is but, we'll see. [​IMG] I'm excited. Woohoo!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] How cute, Shetlands are KNOWN for being a little on the nasty snotty side, so take a good look, and pet him rub him all over to see if it will irritate him!
    TRY to irritate him!!! see how he reacts!

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Good luck!

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Good luck, I was taking care of my neighbors livestock for a day and had my back turned to one of the mini horses, and he bit me directly on my bum. Ouch! It was funny because I guess it shocked me and I politely turned to her and said that she better go on because I was going to bite her back. [​IMG]

5. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That's the plan. If I can't pick up his feet and put pressure on his back, it's a no go. I'm too big to sit on him, but if he's calm enough I might sit DD on him and and hold on tight to her. Dang, I wish I could rent a kid who pony clubs to try him out for me...lol.

I've heard that about Shetlands, that they are little snots, but he's cute enough that I'll at least take a look at him. [​IMG]

I'm taking the camera, so you all can critique him, too. [​IMG]

6. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    find out if he lunges. That is the best way to teach a kid to ride. Also to find out how well he knows voice commands and body language.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  7. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] That's why I don't have my mini stud anymore. Any chance he got he'd bite DH. He never bit me, I don't think he was near as naughty as Dh does, but DH says I was wearing rose colored glasses because I loved that little horse too much. Well that and he wouldn't drop so I could get him gelded.

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yuppers, I'm pretty much ready to sell our mini...he's horrible. I've decided small horses are a much better idea for my kids...Sam is dicy for adults, I no longer let DD near him.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    check for any evidence of past laminitis, really common in wee ponies. also figure out where you're going to keep him, dirt lot wise, if he should founder when you have him.

good luck, and take pix! [​IMG]

Pat, who loves leetle ponies but when the boys get bigger will be shopping for an older small horse not a pone, because of the lower chance of laminitis since all our horses live out on grass 24/7

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Many Shetlands do indeed have "strong personalities". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by