We're moving! Wait! With chickens?!?!?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Daddas1Punkin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. They should travel in boxes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. They will be fine in thier coop in the truck

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    Well next month we say 'goodbye' to this current house, and 'hello' to the house of our dreams! Well, I would like to know anything I should about moving with chicks & chickens. Would someone like to help please?
    We have a month till we move in (the first week in April) and about two weeks to fix it up a little. [​IMG] Will the chickens do okay? I know the babies won't care, but I don't know about the big chickens. Also, do think they should be moved in crates/boxes or be moved in a box truck in their coop? Would they do fine in their coop in the truck? Do you think? lol Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How far are you moving them? Across a state line?

3. Daddas1Punkin

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    No, just a couple of miles.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I just moved my whole zoo of animals this past Aug to a bigger farm. 300 or so chickens, geese, turkey, peafowl, swans, cranes, ducks, quail and pheasants...... Plus farm animals and all their pens and cages. Take the chickens in crates etc.... Just easier. Move their pens to the new location and set them back up again there. My birds did good, especially when going back to their own pen.... Just a different location. The ones having a harder time were my free range birds. They didn't know where to roost.

5. Daddas1Punkin

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    WOW! [​IMG]That's a lot! We only have to move: 7 chickens (2 chicks, and 5 hens), 2 dogs, 3 cats, a hamster, a frog, 3 fish tanks, and a betta-fish.

6. Allygirl

Allygirl Out Of The Brooder

For us the best was the bed of a pick-up with the cab on! Or crates.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by