1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We're new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BokBokGoose, Feb 24, 2017.

1. BokBokGoose

BokBokGoose Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Hey Everyone!

Our family is the happy home for 4 new little chicks as of today. Two are Barred Rocks named "Peep" and " El Pollo Loco" and the other two are Golden Comets named "Peck" and "Nolan" aka Chicken Little (Nolan is my 4 yr old who named his chickie). Husband said there were chicks at the tack store and it didn't take any reminding for me to take the kids in to Find their new pets :D. The young woman helping us didn't know their age and that might be our first thread after this. We just moved to AZ from MA and are going to need tips for keeping chickens in the desert instead of the frozen North as well!

Thanks for all the helpful posts and pics on here!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- so glad you've joined us. Chickens are such a fabulous family adventure and you've come to the right place to get yourselves off to the right start.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. If you put your state name in the search box - above. It will pop up and you can post on your state thread and ask about the type of coop, etc. is recommended for your climate. Generally chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat. So you may receive advice on which breeds handle the heat .

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, BokBokGoose, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! I agree with D'Diva above - the heat is generally a bigger challenge. Fresh cool water, breeze, and shade....if they can get these things in the hot times they will usually be okay. Plus the smaller framed, large combed breeds tend to fair hot climate better. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

When I had a flock in FL, heat was an ongoing battle most the year. Cooling treats, shallow plastic tubs of water, natural & artificial shade, a box fan in the coop (pointing up, not blowing directly on the birds)...those were some of the things I did to make the girls more comfortable.

Best of luck to you!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under BokBokGoose [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links, I will just send best wishes to you and your flock.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by