We're not chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jerseycoop, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    A loud, crazy thunderstorm with lightening and wind gusts of 20-30 mph just rumbled through here for about an hour. [​IMG] I'm amazed to see my girls (from the kitchen window) just scratching at the dirt or sitting on the roost in the run totally unafraid. [​IMG] Guess I worried for nothing [​IMG] is this normally how they are in a storm? I though they'd be running for cover all huddled together. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. brekke69

brekke69 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    my Shim will go out in a light rain, no problem. she will not go out heavy rain or snow. she hates snow and yells at us to clean it up and make it warmr so she can go out. when she is inside loud storms don't seem to bother her as much as it bothers her buddy Blaze (109 lb german shepard). she also does not go outside when it is too hot. we are having high 90's and 100 degree days here in St. Louis right now. i don't know how real chickens react; Shim is a house chicken.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My chickens are also unaffected by thunder and lightening. They too, go about their business during a storm. I have to scoot them in the coop, so the rain doesn't blow inside and soak the pine chips.

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    That is truly amazing! Our dog would run and hide while inside the house. I thought chickens living outside with the weather action would act the same. Learned something new..thanks

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Unless it's absolutely pouring buckets, my girls will stay outside and do their thing. They don't seem to mind the thunder and lighting. My great dane, on the other hand, will hide in the bathroom at the first rumble of thunder. Go figure.

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Good thunderstorm here this afternoon as well (monsoon season in AZ) and our two flocks are out free ranging and doing the happy dance because this time of year when it rains the termites send out hordes of winged comrades to start new colonies... Chicken snacks and it is a hoot watching them chasing the slow clumsy bugs...

7. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Mine don't mind light rains, but storms they ran like crazy,and hid!! LOL

8. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:Bunch of chickens lol!

9. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    In Texas, we don't know how our chickens react, it doesn't rain here... [​IMG]

10. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    LOL I ws awefully sick yesterday and got hit by the same storm.. I left the pop door closed when I went to collect the eggs and realized it in the middle of the storm I left the door closed....went running down to the coop in the middle of all this thunder and lightning only to find this......
    [​IMG]
    They were a tad bit wet and unphased by it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by