We're not the only ones confused

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by birdnutz, Dec 27, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    About global warming.
    Saw my first robin this morning. What the hello! Never see them here until April or May. Hope they eat something other than bugs. Or he's not going to make it through the winter.
    Of course the canada geese haven't left either. It has been extremely cold here also.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe you now have resident "migrant" birds. I know in some areas, there exist year round "migrating" birds because people feed them year round.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Last Christmas, a few days prior to Christmas to be exact, my dh and I went into the fields to cut down a cedar tree for the guest room. Imagine my shock to see a very large flock of robins flying out of the cedars! [​IMG] I couldn't beleive my eyes but came in and did some research. Not all robins fly south! That is what I read! I never in my life heard of that before yet there they were. They were living off the little blue berries on the cedar trees (don't know the specific name of the trees in the fields growing wild)and they shelter in the dense branches. No, I have no seen any this year but then again I haven't gone into the fields either looking for them. We had two ice storms last year, one in Dec. and one in Jan. so it was plenty cold enough.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The trees here are very confused! My apple trees are putting fuzzies at the tips of the branches and it's supposed to hit 15 tonight. The first super cold night, it's been in the 60's until today, the high was 41.

5. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

That bird had better start heading south! Robbins eat worms, bugs and fruit.
    They are all out of season in Wyoming right now.
    The strawberry farmers in Florida probably won't mind if it stays up north for the winter.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    If you have a good food source robins will stay year round. I am from Michigan and often had robins year round, I had a lot of high bush cranberries and wild grapes. This is the kind of stuff that keeps them around.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The last two years I've had hummingbirds overwintering here in Seattle. The last two winters were our usual mild winters. This year it's still here. I was sure it wouldn't survive this years arctic blast, but it is. I've got several people putting up feeders also. So on Christmas morning I'm watching it come to the feeder over and over again, when a red breasted robin shows up in the yard eating the few brown apples left on the granny smith tree. Now I've never seen robins eat anything but bugs so I gues it's really hungry. Now I've got 2 hummer feeders up, 2 seed feeders up, and and 2 suet feeders up.

It's kind of funny, the chickens won't leave the coop in the last 2 weeks.

Imp/Russ

8. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We used to see Canada Geese year round here, like they were confused lol. I don't see any out here in Hastings County, we only ever saw them in the GTA.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    we are having somr sort of melt here also...just last week we had ice storms that knocked peoples power out for days..and blizzards with 12 + inches of snow....now..its like spring time..and mud and slush..and they say tomorrow its supposed to be in the 60's!...crazy weather!

10. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    He's still going to be in trouble. Wyomings not known for having alot of fruit either. I guess I'll put out alot of suet cakes just in case he comes back. Sure feel sorry for him. I know if I could fly south I would.
    Aren't the berries on evergreens used to make gin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by