We're overrun by spiders all of the sudden - yikes!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sumi, Oct 18, 2012.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I watered a plant 2 days ago, went to collect more water and suddenly there's a HUGE spider in the can! I nearly watered myself.
    I climbed into bed last night. DH was still up and about and he stood by the bed while we had a chat. Suddenly he had this weird look on his face, turned and ran for a piece of toilet roll. Another big spider crawled out from under the bed covers [​IMG]
    Just now he found walking around the lounge and then there was that one in the kitchen yesterday afternoon... We suddenly, after not seeing a spider for weeks, having way to many of the creeps crawling around here.

Now don't anyone tell me spiders are cute!

Send insecticide? Or a newspaper? [​IMG]

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ug. I hate spiders because walking through spider webs is such a creepy feeling....bleh! Makes you feel like you have bugs on you all day.

We are having a similar problem with pincher bugs. They are everywhere.

3. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    When ever I see a spider I would trap it under a cup and wait for my boyfriend to get home from work to take care of it for me. Now that I have ducks, I lift the cup up for them and let them have a treat!

But they really are EVERYWHERE.

4. RunningRabbit

RunningRabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    LOL! I used to breed tarantulas as a hobby, and would have hundreds of tiny little spiders at any given time. I love tarantulas, but absolutely HATE the non-tarantula spiders.

I mean, I could have a big ol' bird eating spider in one hand, yet would smash the life out of any local spider that had the misfortune of crossing my path. Or feed them to the tarantulas. Either way, those insidious home invaders are dead!

However, I now find myself tarantula-less, with an army of spiders that have taken up residence throughout my home and property. Nothing like every post on the porch having webs all over them and spiders the size of quarters hanging out in the centers. [​IMG]

5. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    OMG, I am terrified of spiders. Ridiculous really as we don't have any dangerous ones and they are quite small compared to those in many warmer countries. Even so I just can't stand them. I have always hidden my fear from the children so that they would not grow up afraid themselves, and I am proud that my eldest granddaughter can pick them up without flinching. I think they come into the house in the autumn.

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    dont know if its true but I read on a survival page that spiders hate peppermint try putting some peppermint oil around or make a spray with it and see if it works

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think citrus oil also. You rub a lemon skin on a broom's bristles and sweep the floor with it. We get these things here:

[​IMG]

This example is a smallish one, by the way! I've seen some that were so big, I mistook them for mice [​IMG] They creep me out!

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    O, geeze, Sumi, I would flip out if I found more than one of those in my house! It looks like the wolf spiders we have here and that we'd play with as kids. [​IMG] The ones here run fast (towards you) and have a very nasty bite. We most commonly see them now when moving stuff around that hasn't been disturbed for a while.

9. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

OMGGGGGGGGGG [​IMG] yucky

We get brown recluses here (live in the brown recluse capital of the nation pretty much) ...they stay outside mostly, though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  10. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    For what it's worth, I was channel surfing the other night and came across a show about things that had invaded various homes - snakes, spiders, monkeys...
    Anyway, this one home had gotten so bad that they were killing half a dozen of those nasty big brown spiders (wolf spiders?) every day so they set off a few bug bombs. They came home to hundreds of dead bugs of every description all over the floors and thought it was over. A few days later they started to see the big brown spiders again. But this time it was dozens every day and getting worse.
    Turns out that setting off a bug bomb is the worst thing you can do. It kills all the OTHER spiders and leaves the door open (so to speak) for these guys to take over. The exterminator said that you have to actually hit them directly with the spray to kill them.
    Reminded me of that scene from Acrophobia when the exterminator was walking around on the porch squirting the baby spiders and they started smoking when the spray hit them.
    I get those big nasty brown ones in my barn by the bajillons. I HATE THEM! I found that treating the entire inside perimeter with that home defense stuff will keep them down to only an occasional sighting. I spray all the way around on the ground and then treat each door way, window, large crack, pipe access, everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by