Were red in the face but now pale again...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thecowboysgirl, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Thecowboysgirl

Thecowboysgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I am still waiting for my approx 26 wk old flock to lay. I noticed the hens' faces starting to get red and I thought that meant we were there. But now the ones I thought were turning red seem pale again.

Could they have worms, making them pale? Would this keep them from laying?

Also one of them has goopy runny poo, most of them have normal bird looking poo. The runny one has been that way her whole life.

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to tell what is going on. Could be they are under the weather or temperature changes, or a number of other things. I would think if you have a closed flock and started with healthy birds they are fine. Waiting for eggs cn be tough but if they are larger birds they may take longer to lay. Be patient and as long as they are active, eating and drinking they should be fine. If they are sick they become lethargic, and their tail may become droopy and will seperate themselves from the flock.

~Julie

3. Thecowboysgirl

Thecowboysgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    No, they are all bright eyed, bushy tailed, shiny, happy birds.

The health of them could be questionable, I bought 7 of them from a local breeder and they sneezed a lot when younger but not anymore. We also took in a homeless chickie from the animal shelter who is a bit younger than the rest, so she's totally unknown. She seemed healthy, still does.

They are RiRs, BO, and the runt is mixed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by