we're starting coop construction this weekend . . .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fargosmom, Feb 3, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I had planned on using some extra fence boards for the siding, but it just occurred to me that I've read here that cedar shavings are not a safe bedding material . . . what about cedar boards? They're newish and do smell a little cedar-y, but they'll only be on two walls, and they should stop smelling after a little while. The coop will have one brick wall and one open side so there should be lots of ventilation. If the chicks are exposed to a little cedar smell for a short time, will it do them harm?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    The boards wont hurt them one bit. Its only (suposedly) cedar shavings. [​IMG]

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    You're mainly looking out for the smell. If these boards have been outside for a while, they've probably aired out enough to get rid of the cedar smell. If not, you could always paint the inside to get rid of it. (painting might also have the extra benefit of making the coop a bit easier to clean!)

4. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Well by the time the chicks get moved out of the house the boards will have been outside for at least 2-3 weeks. I'm hoping that should be enough to get rid of most of the smell. Can't imagine paint fumes are better for their health than cedar oil [​IMG] . Anyway thanks that's a load off my mind - I was worried that I'd have to go buy new stuff to finish the walls with.

5. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I used cedar fence boards for my walls. I have no issues with bird health.

6. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Yay! I'm glad to have one less thing to worry about. Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by