We're starting to fly....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Yesterday I was talking to the chicks (oh boy [​IMG]) and one of the RIR's hopped up on top of the waterer. This morning she was up on the roost when I went in to check them. Practically all of them were flapping around, getting a little air, scooting across the brooder. It's like when your baby takes her first step, you can't wait til it happens, but once it does, it's all over!

What happens if one gets out and can't get back in? I guess I'll have to cover it with some netting for now!

2. jtotherow

jtotherow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Mill SC
    either flight netting or clip their wings.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Netting ought to be sufficient. I personally am against wing clipping.

4. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I used an old window screen to cover the brooder. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I used a scrap of chickenwire, staplegunned to some scraps of wood to weight it down where it draped past the edges of the brooder [​IMG]

I'd worry about clipping babies' wings after the experience I had losing one of my Sussex chicks at about 2 wks old (broke neck flying headfirst into wall). I'd think a clipped wing would give them even LESS control over what they're doing. If such a thing can be imagined [​IMG]

BTW, congrats on the chicks and their rapid advancement towards chickenhood [​IMG]

Pat, whose chicks at 6.5 wks STILL sometimes fly into walls and the chickenwire side of their big pen and so forth [​IMG]

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    at 2 or 3 weeks I went back to check on my chicks and found my dog licking one she had carried on the bed and soon after another roosted on the top of the box. She recovered and the dog still thinks shes their mom but I promptly screened the top.

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Yea, I don't know about clipping their wings, their feathers aren't even out fully yet! I found the netting in the shed, I'll be covering them tomorrow. It's so cute, though, to find them up on the roost, only two or three of them so far, but I'm sure more will be at it soon enough! The box is high, about 4.5', it was the box our big screen TV came in.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    We used an old baby gate to cover ours. And if one gets out it will let you know it is out. They only want out till they actually are. You know that crubles are always better outside of the brooder complex going on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by