Were the eggs fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, Jul 21, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I candled all my eggs-granted its day 6, but 12 eggs are Trader Joe fertile eggs, and 9 of them have huge healthy chicks growing in them, and 3 clear but I'll leave those in til day 11 just for the sake of it. And then, I candled my 5 mail-ordered eggs, and not one of them are fertile. They're completely see-through, but they are brown and it is only day 6. I'm not sure what to think-I'm trying to think of all the senarios for the eggs to not be fertile at all. To start with, I ordered them through the mail, then the postman was apparently an egg-hater because he gave the box an extra toss and roll when giving it to me, and the box had 3 broken eggs in it, leaking...so already that was a bad start.

Can someone give me all the rational reasons the eggs wouldn't be fertile and growing chicks at all, you know? I know I bought eggs through mail and its my deal taking the chance, but do people generally say oh well or do people talk to the seller and possibly get more eggs? Its only my second time ordering eggs through mail though.

Other than that, its a complete miracle that any of the eggs are okay. Last hatching I had the incubator in the living room so I could reasonably monitor the temp and that worked well, but this time I started the incubator in the garage (at the request of the family not wanting a bright light in the living room)-first 2 days it stayed stable with no eggs in it, and after the eggs were placed in it, the temps were crazy. It would shoot up to 110, then down to 96 and no matter what I couldn't control it. So I moved it that day back to the living room and its been great. I certainly thought I wouldn't see even one egg alive and kicking, but 9 TJ's are doing fantastic and actually look bigger inside than I expected.

I'm a little nervous now because I got all excited and ordered 6+ Crevecoeurs in a couple weeks. I know, it was too soon...but I was thinking I probably didn't have any good eggs anymore since the temps and bad mail experience and all-which surprisingly some are doing great.
    Thanks

As a happy update, I hatched 3 healthy & cute Trader Joe eggs and unfortunately the Pheonixes did not hatch, but I'm looking forward to another try with them in the spring [​IMG]. The seller is very kind [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    The chances are that the shipped eggs were fertile, but got shaken/trashed during shipping.
    That is the big problem with shipped eggs. It is a huge risk. Good packaging helps but is not fool proof. I have had several in which none developed, but on the whole get between 20% and 60% chick rate from chicken eggs.

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Also, 110 will kill almost anything if the core temp of the egg gets to that level.

4. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    It sounds like it could have been the bad shipping that did it. You also have to realize that not all of the eggs will make it far into incubation. And they crazy temps I'm sure didn't help.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi, I figured either the shipping did it or my crazy temps, but just wanted to ask. We're in Escondido, you're San Diego? We have A mottled java pullet, a black java (not sure yet) and 3 EE's. How about you? I really hope the crevecoeurs get here safely. I thought about asking them to be delivered to the post office for pickup since my mailman clearly doesn't like me or eggs.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would wait a few more days. Not all eggs start developing at once and since it is only day 6... One of my incubators went down to 93 the other day because of a power outage. When the power came back on one of the incubators went up to 115. Another time that I lost power I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I still had good hatches. It takes time for the internal temperature in the eggs to cool down or heat up so I don't think that will really affect the hatch.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Quote:Definitely I'll wait-I'm surprised already that there were 9 healthy eggs left. Thanks for sharing-I just figure if a hen goes for food or water the eggs cool and off a little and when she won't get up for food also the eggs will heat up, so I'm hoping for good vibes for these eggs. Plus, I bought a better hygrometer when placing the incubator inside and the temp was much nicer [​IMG] Thanks for the encouragement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by