were to buy organic feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gavin, May 2, 2008.

1. gavin

gavin New Egg

May 2, 2008
    I live in melbourne florida and would like to know if anyone knows were i can buy organic chicken feed I can not find anyone that sells it

thank you

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Purina sells an organic and I believe you can order online from them. Their website is www.poultrynutrition.com
    OT, I spent part of my growing up in Melbourne, still have family there. When I think of feed stores in Melbourne I think of the old feed store in West Melbourne, that had a large statue of a white horse in their parking lot. We rode thru Melbourne last year on our way to Daytona and I was sad to see it gone...replaced by a strip mall I believe.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We had a tough time finding organic chicken feed too. We ended up calling around (yellow pages) and asking our friends. We finally found some at an Agway store a couple towns away.

4. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    We get ours from Countryside Natural 888.699.7088. They are somewhere in the northeast. Steve is usually who we talk to.

We live in Florida too so shipping is a buggar. It is almost as much as the feed. We have 9 hens and we order 1 - 50 lb bag about every 4-6 weeks for about $35 total with shipping. It is sooooooooooooo worth it. We know what is going into them and then what is going into the eggs we eat!

Our girls are in love with their food! My DH was upset after a year of paying for the 'fancy' food so we tried the regular farmstore f.r.m.... they didnt eat for weeks! They moped around like quite the pathetic birds. They never finished their bowl. So anyway... my husband felt soooooooooo bad. Needess to say we are back to the countrysid natural. If they could lick the feeder clean they would!

Their food just looks good! Fresh greeen stuff not overprocessed whatever. We just put it in a pan... they love it so much they paractly kill the feeder. We dont worry about spilling because they eat it all... even all that gets knocked out.

If you do try them tell them Eshanne let you know about them. They probably have no idea who I am... but to me they (Countryside Natural) feel like an important part of our girls (and in turn our) happiness and health.

Hope that helps. Happy Chickens!!!!

5. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Not to horn in on your post Gavin, but any Iowans have a local vendor for organic poultry feed? Trying to avoid paying shipping if I can...Thanks!

6. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
  7. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I have a question about the organic feeds, wouldn't it work to learn what's in it and feed them the whole grains etc that's in it? Mine get cracked corn (I used to buy the "scratch" but the little seeds were left all over that the chickens would simply not touch) and they also get whole oats as well as whole flax seed and they are turned out to free range every day. I also give some rice bran mixed in at times as well as anything else I find they like. Greens are good too but I don't worry about that in the summer since they can pick what they like from the yard and pasture.

So, what is in organic chicken feed that you can't get separate?

8. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not what's in it, but how its made that makes it organic. Organic guidelines state no chemical fertilizers, manure can be used on the crop but only after a specific time at a specific heating regimen. They cannot be mixed with chemical preservatives, etc. Most grains that are commercially available have been produced with anhydrous fertilizers, etc.

Quote:

9. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I know that about organic grains but what I wanted to know is the ingredients of the organic feeds, are they pelleted? I refuse to feed processed foods to mine (pellets). I'd rather feed non-organic whole grains than pellets with the exception of chicks and even then, when I only have a few, I switch to fresh ground seeds I grind in a coffee grinder after a week.

You can grind anything you need to feed so it's small enough for the chicks.

10. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Ours isn't pelleted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by