1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Were to get wormer in Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by viktoriacl, Jul 9, 2011.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have one year old hen out of four that has very pale wattles and comb is starting as well. I'm thinking worms. Is that a good guess? It's been very hot and I have been away. They have been in great care but not by a chicken person so not sure when she started getting pale. Should I give her something else while I'm waiting for a wormer. Feel like she needs blood. Not thinking I'm up for transfusing a chicken. She is an EE. She is a great layer and was one in April.

2. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    If you can find it in your area get some goat wormer. It is the same thing.

Pardon the spelling if it is wrong but the product in fenbendazole. It says goat wormer on the bottle but if you read closely it also says for use with chickens. That is what I use and most feed stores have it. Use it as your only source of water for three days and then wait ten days and use it again if necessary, but usually it is not necessary.

Best of luck.

3. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks. I should just treat the whole flock right? What about the babies? I have three that were hatched in March.

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Just looked at her closer. Her eyes look sunken in a bit? Any thoughts?

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Mites or lice?

6. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    If it is it's not obvious. She seems fine other that this. She laid her normal bumpy topped egg this morning. I do have sevin. Maybe I'll just give them a dusting to be sure.

7. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    It's hot, you've been away, sunken eyes...How about dehydration? Make sure she is drinking. Pick her up and dip beak into water, just like you do with baby chicks. If she is a bit dehydrated, there might be an underlying problem, something making her feel too crummy to get to the water often enough. Keep watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by