We're "Wing'in It"!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Regina67, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Regina67

Regina67 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Hi everybody! [​IMG] I wanted to jump in and say hi. We're new to the chicken life and new to the BYC boards - although, I've been reading through them quite extensively the past several weeks learning and absorbing as much as I can [​IMG] before the stork arrives. We have 7 coming the week of 6/27: 2 Black Plymouth Rock females, 2 Partridge Plymouth Rock females, 2 Buff Orpington females, and 1 Buff Orpington male from the MyPetChicken site. Our coop, run, and greenhouse are in the early stage of being built. Our hen house started out as a storage barn, but I think we've come up with a great plan to modify it for ventilation (my biggest concern) and all around chicken happiness.

I went out on the 17th to buy the heat lamp, feeding containers, etc., and low and behold, I discovered our local Big R just had a ton of baby chick's brought in the day before. Needless to say, chicken fever has already begun and I unexpectedly, yet cheerfully came home with 4 of them...lol (June 27th is just so far away you know [​IMG]) Based on the mildly informative girl that worked in the chicken area, I "think" we have a White Sex Link, hopefully a Silver-laced Wyandotte, a brown (chipmunk coloring) Sussex of some type, and one chocolate brown mystery. I'm pretty confident all four are females, so we're officially starting our chicken-raising adventure with 10 hens and one rooster (as long as MPC sexes theirs correctly).

I'm looking forward to joining in with the BYC group!

Regina

Here's a few pictures...

Daisy - White Sex-Link
    [​IMG]

Coco - Brown Sussex maybe
    [​IMG]

BeeBee - Silver-laced Wyandotte (I hope!
    [​IMG]

Hazel - our chocolate brown mystery that appears anxious to be identified...lol
    [​IMG]

Our in-progress henhouse/run/greenhouse
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Regina

Glad you could join us here! What adorable chicks you have there!! They sure are hard to resist and I can see why you brought them home rather unexpectedly!
    You might like to post your pics in the what breed gender section where I'm sure members will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Wishing you the very best of luck with your expanding flock and enjoy BYC :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Love the big brown chick - would love to know what that is myself.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello Regina and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and good luck with your chicken-keeping adventure.

Best wishes
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Regina67

Regina67 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Colorado, USA

In my never-ending quest to solve the mystery, I think the dark brown one could very well be a Partridge Rock. I have two PRs coming from MyPetChicken this week that I can compare her with, so we'll see! Oh!....and the more I look around, the more I'm beginning to think my newest guess for the chipmunk-brown one is a Welsummer - that would be a fun surprise! :D

Thank you all for the greetings :woot

7. Regina67

Regina67 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Yep, she's a Partridge Rock [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Regina, and :welcome. Thank you for joining our community! Beautiful chicks! :jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by