We're "Wing'in It"!

Regina67

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2016
Colorado, USA
Hi everybody!
1f64b.png
I wanted to jump in and say hi. We're new to the chicken life and new to the BYC boards - although, I've been reading through them quite extensively the past several weeks learning and absorbing as much as I can
1f606.png
before the stork arrives. We have 7 coming the week of 6/27: 2 Black Plymouth Rock females, 2 Partridge Plymouth Rock females, 2 Buff Orpington females, and 1 Buff Orpington male from the MyPetChicken site. Our coop, run, and greenhouse are in the early stage of being built. Our hen house started out as a storage barn, but I think we've come up with a great plan to modify it for ventilation (my biggest concern) and all around chicken happiness.

I went out on the 17th to buy the heat lamp, feeding containers, etc., and low and behold, I discovered our local Big R just had a ton of baby chick's brought in the day before. Needless to say, chicken fever has already begun and I unexpectedly, yet cheerfully came home with 4 of them...lol (June 27th is just so far away you know
1f609.png
) Based on the mildly informative girl that worked in the chicken area, I "think" we have a White Sex Link, hopefully a Silver-laced Wyandotte, a brown (chipmunk coloring) Sussex of some type, and one chocolate brown mystery. I'm pretty confident all four are females, so we're officially starting our chicken-raising adventure with 10 hens and one rooster (as long as MPC sexes theirs correctly).

I'm looking forward to joining in with the BYC group!

Regina

Here's a few pictures...

Daisy - White Sex-Link

Coco - Brown Sussex maybe

BeeBee - Silver-laced Wyandotte (I hope!

Hazel - our chocolate brown mystery that appears anxious to be identified...lol

Our in-progress henhouse/run/greenhouse

Last edited:
Hi :welcome Regina

Glad you could join us here! What adorable chicks you have there!! They sure are hard to resist and I can see why you brought them home rather unexpectedly!
You might like to post your pics in the what breed gender section where I'm sure members will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Wishing you the very best of luck with your expanding flock and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello Regina and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and good luck with your chicken-keeping adventure.

Best wishes
CT

Love the big brown chick - would love to know what that is myself.

In my never-ending quest to solve the mystery, I think the dark brown one could very well be a Partridge Rock. I have two PRs coming from MyPetChicken this week that I can compare her with, so we'll see! Oh!....and the more I look around, the more I'm beginning to think my newest guess for the chipmunk-brown one is a Welsummer - that would be a fun surprise! :D

Thank you all for the greetings :woot

Back
Top Bottom