Were you raised in a barn?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sphinx, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm afraid that if someone asks my kids this question, they won't quite know how to answer. [​IMG]

At this moment, I have 12 chicks in my front room. 5 are around 5-6 weeks old, and the others are nearly a week old. Even though I'm changing the bedding every day, it's starting to smell in here.

I knew I'd have this going in, so I'm patient about the circumstances, but on the other hand, I would like to transition them as soon as it's safe to do so.

I'm trying to decide at what point can I put them outside? I'm selling three of the older ones, so that will help matters a little, but when can I move the other two to the regular coop without endangering them to the elements? It gets under 30 degrees at night here most nights.

My adult chickens were all killed last fall (don't worry, I've fixed the problem that made them vulnerable to predators), so they'd be getting the coop and run to themselves. I don't have heat out there, though I could run an extension cord and get a brooder light with a heat light bulb.

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have similar situation and I am sure most people that hatch chicks do. I hatch every week. For the first week the chicks sit in a plastic tub with a brooder lamp in my dining room. ( Its where my incubator and hatcher are also) The second week I move them to the front deck. Its a covered deck. I put a lid on the top of the plastic tub that has been covered with hardware cloth, then set a brooder lamp on top. They stay there for about 4 weeks or untill fully feathered then they go to a coop or pen with a seedling heating mat untill they don't need it anymore. Right now I have 3 tubs on the deck and 1 in the house. My house smells alot better now.

Lanae

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have some friends that are actually living in a barn while they're waiting to build they're house. (Of course they have converted it to a house for the present.) You can't ask their kids that question. They just say "Yes!" and go about their merry way. [​IMG]

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The house I'm in at the present time was used as a barn till I got a hold of it. It's an old log house, 2 pen dog trot. It took the wife and I three week of scrubbing to get the cow smell out of these logs. [​IMG] I do know a gentleman when he was a younger man with a poor family made his home out of an old chicken broiler house. An he grew up to be a governor of Alabama.

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Wow! how neat!

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Hi Sphinx....

I moved my three week old chicks to the coop after they were fully feathered and had a heat lamp on 24/7 for them. They did just fine. However, they weren't allowed to go outside into the elements until they were 6-8 weeks old. That was back in October when the weather wasn't as cold as it is now. Personally, I would keep them inside the coop for now and let them out on the days it gets warmer, if it gets warmer where you are??? Going from heat 24/7 to going outside for the day will be a little hard on them as they will get cold. You might try raising the heat lamp higher in the coop away from them each week, so they get used to it being cooler in the coop and will be able to make the transfer to colder temps easier on them. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Thanks, that's great advice.

I took the light off of them a few days ago, so they're used to 68 degree temps now.

I like the idea of putting them in with a heated bulb, and slowly move that up. I also like the idea of keeping them in the coop unless I'm out there to let them out to run around.

8. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, I just got finished moving them outside to the hen house.

I have one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers, so I put the "outside" one out in the henhouse, and the display in here. So, I can monitor the temps, and if I feel it's too cold, I can add another brooder light or up the heat on the one that's out there.

So far, they seem to be intrigued with all the new stuff to look at scratch at, and smell.

I think my house smells better already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by