weres best to buy silkies and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chews chooks, Oct 11, 2012.

1. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    weres best to order chicks or chucks for delivery

2. Paul3874

Paul3874 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    We were just up to Idealpoultry Yesterday. It is located in Cameron tx., kind of a backwoods spot, with a beautiful layout. Their office building is rather large, and the farm buildings (possibly around 3 or 4 hund.) take up a couple of miles out in the country. I was not expecting anything this large or the honest hospitality of the employees. The prices are a little bit lower than expected, and the quality exceptional. We bought about 30 chicks and ordered more. Again the price was right. I really look foreward to dealing with these people in the future providing their product grows up as good as it looks. I am difficult to deal with, and not everything meets my expectations. Ideal beat them. Paul

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The best is hard to determine because it is really personal preference. Are you looking for hatchery quality birds or show quality birds? Do you want to buy locally or are you willing to pay for shipping?

I did some research as to what you available locally to me and ending up going with a breeder that I could drive to - I personally prefer to be able to see where the birds have been living and have the opportunity to select my own chicks. Also, if you are wanting only hens, silkies are hard to sex so it might be worth your time/money to find a place that is willing to do a rooster exchange if need be.

It might be worth posting in your state thread to see if anyone has local recs. A lot of breeders will also post on your local craigslist.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    sorry i mean in the uk

5. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    hi am from the uk as well.

is it hatching eggs, grown chicks or pullets/youngsters are after?
    if woud be interested in some hatching eggs and can afford the one off costs of a incubator/brooder/heat lamp [check ebay or preloved for these],woud get a lot of satisfaction out of having mothered them.

ebay uk is an awesome place for hatching eggs,a lot of people think getting eggs by delivery is a bad thing but the last time was incubating had gotten six cochin eggs through ebay and have now six very healthy cochins,though a lot of egg sellers on ebay have a ridiculous amount of unfair bad feedback because buyers dont realise fertileness of individual eggs cannot be guaranteed once left because of the environment the eggs are in and the handling/delivery,most sellers will state they will offer exchange for more eggs if they are not fertile or were affected by other means though.
    -there are a lot of sellers at the moment best way is to check for someone as local as possible.

if it is chicks or more grown chucks are after, preloved is one of the best in the UK for getting animals such as chucks from,a beloved cat of mine came from preloved.
    here is a search for pullets [hens under a year old] on PL in northampton to get started with- http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list/3366/livestock-and-poultry.html?keyword=pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by