West Coast gals ask `What`s this white stuff?`

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. Feathers, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    My poor girls...it snowed on Saturday and they still won`t leave the coop. Just look sadly out at the white carpet from the top of their ramp with a pitiful Brawwwwkkk. They remind me of old ladies complaining about the weather. It could be a long winter for them. .[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Could be. My big girls are unfazed by snow or ice. Hopefully my little ones will adopt the big girls attitude.

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Ours did not want to come out either, so I took a leaf rake in the run and raked as much snow out as I could. It worked they came out and hung out most of the day.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you can have a pile of hay or straw in the run, before it is suppose to snow I pile it up. Then after it snows, I just flip it on top of the snow. Chickens come right outside. works slick. mk

5. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Good ideas, Thanks!
    Tomorrow I will take the rake and create a straw path to the treed area where there is not much snow. They have been in for a few days now and I think they are getting `coop fever` . We are not use to this winter stuff!!

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Chickens are goofy sometimes--ok, most of the time. Mine freaked out and didn't want to go back into the coop to roost one night just because I accidentaly bought fine white shavings instead of the coarser ones. It was so silly because they're both made from the same type of wood(s) just the texture was different. Anyhow, given how mine freaked out over that I guess it's not surprising that yours are having a fit over the strange, cold white stuff that is making their entire outside space look and feel different. They'll get used to it after a few days, and if you're out here in the NW like I am they'll have plenty of time to get used to it this winter [​IMG]

You've alread gotten some great suggestions, but I'd like to add another one. After you rake out your path toss a few handfulls of their favorite treats on and around it. A bit of scratch, boss, veggies or even (my chooks LOVE this) spaghetti noodles scattered around and they'll forget all about the annoying white stuff in no time at all.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    My girls to a good look at that nasty cold white stuff and promptly went back into the partially cover run, and my fizzle gave me a look that said she had no intention of leaving the coop. I put food and water in the coop today. My biggest problem is trying to keep the hummingbird feeder thawed enough for the cranky little bird.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This is the first time all of my girls have seen white stuff too (last winter we didn't have any, which is honestly normal)

What did they do? . . . . Eat it.

9. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Another Washingtonian here! Our 4 month old Barred Rocks handled the snow like champs, while our big girls were wimps and didn't leave their heated coop for 2 days!

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I bring down warm water for the girls, knock out the frozen ice, so that I can pour the warm water in, my girls eat the ice chips like they are candy corn! Crazy girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by