West Johnston High School Marching Band & my son

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Robin'sBrood, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hi y'all, I'm going to do a shameless plug for my son's high school marching band. Here is some info from the band's website

The students of the West Johnston High School Marching Band have accepted an invitation to perform in the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

The West Johnston Band is 1 of only 5 high school bands from throughout the United States that will be performing in the 2008 Macy's Parade and is the first band in the history of Johnston County to receive this prestigious honor. Currently ranked 15th in the nation, our students have earned the privilege of representing our state, county, and school system at the 2005 Presidential Inaugural Parade, the Main Street America Parade at Walt Disney World, and now at the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as well. They demonstrate commitment, hard work and dedication to excellence not only in school, performance, and rehearsal, but also in life each day. They are shining examples of all that is good in our nation's youth.

and here is the band's website. http://www.wjhsbands.org/index.html

My son, a rising freshman, will be playing baritone in the parade and his proud mama will be in NYC watching him in person!! [​IMG]

Now, the reason for this post...

The WJHS Band Parents Association is currently raising funds to help each of the 200+ band students pay for the cost of this trip. There are several fundraisers going on at the moment and I'm helping out with a couple of them. I have WJHS cookbooks and raffle tickets for sale. The cookbooks are $15 and the raffle tickets are $5 each or 6 for $25.
    The raffle ticket prizes are:

1st prize: A Nintendo Wii and game
    2nd prize: A weekend getaway (including $200 in hotel gift cards, $50 in gas gift cards & a $50 restaurant card)
    3rd prize: $250 cash
    The drawing will be held on October 11 and you DO NOT have to be present to win!

If anyone would like to make a purchase to help the band, or would like to simply donate to the band (see band website, above, for paypal donations) please send me a PM. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    As a proud High School and College band geek (4 yrs of marching at the best school ever, University of NC - Chapel Hill... go tarheels!) I know how much fun it can be to be a part of something like that!

I'm going to their website now to give a donation via palpal.

Hope they have a WONDERFUL trip!

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:On behalf of all the band students, parents and faculty... THANK YOU SO MUCH! [​IMG]

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Good, their address is there on the site. You can also send a check or money order directly, correct?

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Way to go from Chaparral High School Marching Band!!! My son plays clarinet, just like I did in marching band! I'll hit the site up from home.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congrats!!! That's really an honour.

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    d.k :

* Good, their address is there on the site. You can also send a check or money order directly, correct?

Absolutely!
    please make your check payable to WJHSBPA and mail your payment to:
    WJHS Band Parents Association
    PO Box 53
    Smithfield, NC 27577
    http://www.wjhsbands.org/macys.htm

Thank you! [​IMG]

8. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Bumping before bed... [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wasn't in band, but choir. We were able to take several trips including a tour of Europe and I will always be grateful for the experience. Congrats to your son and his band!

10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    GO LOW BRASS!!!!!

In high school I played;
    trombone
    baratone
    commodaphone (souzaphone)
    tuba
    trumpet
    sax, (Efl Alto)