West Johnston High School Marching Band & my son

For anyone who remembers this old thread, just an update.

FIRST - the funds have been raised and the band will be off to Macy's in just a few short weeks!
woot.gif
If you watch the Macy's parade, be sure to look out for West Johnston high school (in teal & white).

SECOND - this band has won some major awards this season. They've taken 1st place at several local invitationals and they took 1st in the Band of America regionals in Towson, MD back in mid October. No other NC high school band has won 1st place at the Towson regionals in the last 20 years!

This is a very hard working group of teens (nearly 200 of them) and their hard work shows. I was able to find a YouTube clip of the competition they were in this past Saturday night (where they won 10 1st place awards! results here ). The quality isn't very good, but here they are, performing a West Side Story number:

Quote:
Ok I did not know we had the band finals in my neighborhood I live right in Towson MD and have chickens! lol just a random comment

Yes, there is a regional competition there every year, at Towson University.

Here is an article about West's win this year:

West Johnston Places First In Bands Of America Championship

Monday, October 27, 2008

The West Johnston High School Marching Band won first place in the Bands of America Regional Championship in Towson, Maryland last Saturday.

Competing against 22 other bands from 6 states, won with their show "Inner Compass: Songs from the West Side" that celebrates the band's growth from their start six years ago. This is the first time that the West Johnston band has won a Bands of America Regional Championship, which no band in North Carolina has won for 20 years.

When asked how she felt at the end of the final performance, senior Diana Adams said, "I was proud to know that I had just performed the best show that I had in me, and I knew that the band's performance had been something extraordinary. The entire band seemed to know that too."

Her twin sister Robin added, "After I snapped my horn down at the end of the show, I knew that it had been our best run ever in four years."

Three of the four North Carolina bands in the Regional Championship were from Johnston County and included Clayton, Smithfield-Selma and West Johnston.

In a show of support for their fellow Johnston County bands, each high school cheered the others during preliminary performances, with Clayton and Smithfield-Selma staying for the finals and cheering for their sister school, West Johnston.

West Johnston will compete at several local competitions and support the undefeated West Johnston Wildcat football team during their home games this year.

I still get excited reading about it!
wee.gif

Wow, I found a great clip of them at Towson where you can see the whole formation!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost time, we're leaving for NYC tomorrow!
woot.gif

If you watch the Macy's parade my son's band, West Johnston High, will be one of the last high school bands to march. Look for them in these teal & white uniforms...
Sharp%20Saxophones_small.jpg
smile.png

Will anyone else be there in person?

Finally, HERE THEY ARE at Herald Square!
wee.gif

Here's a video I took of them before they got to Herald Square
(No, that was not me screaming in the video.
roll.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom