1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

West Michigan Silkies

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by emmy2027, Apr 20, 2016.

1. emmy2027

emmy2027 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Emily from Grand Rapids here!
    Who breeds silkies in west michigan?
    What color? What makes you like the silkies so much?

2. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Emmy Im interested to know too. Im in NW MI and thinking about adding a couple to my flock.

3. emmy2027

Apr 15, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    same I want a splash silkie!

4. grammanenan

grammanenan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    I have a lovely Blue Splash Silkie hen I would trade for a good quality Black Silkie rooster. The only downside is that her crest is so dense she cannot see good, so she cannot free range at all. I thought about putting her mop in a ponytail :) I am in NW Michigan between Ludington and TC, about 40-50 miles from both and Cadillac too. I have the one splash and two paint and several sizzles in blue or black and a white curly frizzle and her mom is a smooth paint and grandmom was a curly with white skin, but I keep breeding them back to silkies to keep the skin dark - I keep blue/black/splash/whites. No Brown or Buff shades.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  5. emmy2027

Apr 15, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I do not have any silkies to trade. Could her mop be trimmed?
    How much are you asking for her?

6. grammanenan

Mar 28, 2011
    I would be happy with $15. I order good quality eggs from here and keep the ones I like for the following season; I thought I had kept a rooster over winter, was surprised when it started laying :~(

I just hatched a couple of blue splash mixed chicks hatch last night - my white Huastec rooster is the only rooster here right now so I have not separated them yet. Also got three paint and four black mixed silkie (frizzle possible) chicks and advertised them all for $4 each on CL today. My two paint hens hatched with white toes, but they outgrew them, most of these chicks have white toes too. It was recommended that I get a good black roo to overcome that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. emmy2027

Apr 15, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Where are you located?
    Do you have a picture of her?

8. emmy2027

Apr 15, 2016
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Do you ever come down toward grand rapids?

9. grammanenan

Mar 28, 2011
    I'm sorry, I don't have facilities to post a pic here, but if you PM me your phone number I could take a pic with my phone and send it to you. Sorry, I don't drive much, the farthest I ever drive that direction is Baldwin on M37 or Reed City on US131. I thought about cutting her mop a bit, but I didn't want to ruin her looks if I tried to sell her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by