west nile in chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lenka, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Lenka

Lenka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Hey Y'all, I have a questions- I lost one of my hens last night... She got really lethargic and just died. The other chicks seem to be all fine, they are all active and have no signs of being sick at all. I called the guy that we got them from to ask what he thought, and he told me that its probably west nile, because its been going around- symptoms being that the chicken basically sits around and dies (this is in middlesex county in MA) .

My only concern is that all of the things that i've read online, say that west nile in chickens isn't all that common. and deaths from it are incredibly rare if at all. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are they? Coccidiosis is much more common, and I would suspect that if you have had them a short time. There are 9 strains, and a new strain can come into your property on your shoes, or new chickens can come in and not be immune to the new strains that you have. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment of choice-1/2 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid to 1 gallon water for 5 days.

3. Lenka

Lenka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    they are about 3 months old. I will try the corid treatment.
    thank you

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by