West Nile Virus in Jacksonville, Fla

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dawg53, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The City of Jacksonville, Fla has sites throughout the city that uses chickens to determine if mosquitos are carrying West Nile Virus. Two chickens tested positive after the recent heavy rains according to the local TV stations in Jax. The mosquitos are most active in the early morning and late afternoon.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    We just had some mosquito pools come up positive for WNV here in NH, too. We have also had a few cases of EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis) pop up again. It's that time of year. Fortunately, it's been so incredibly dry up here that there have been few (and I mean very few) mosquitoes at all. It's been quite pleasant.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    West Nile is showing up in our area now as well. (N. Georgia/ SE Tennessee) I am just glad that it is at the end of the summer. Hopefully the colder weather will move in and take care of the mosquito population.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That`s funny, I lived in FL almost all my life, but I did spend 4 years in NH. The skeeters are terrible in SO FL and I remember well the original WNV scare, with all the swamps and such it just seems like a natural breeding ground. However, in the 4 years I spent in NH, I came to believe that the mosquito was the NH State Bird. I got swarmed so bad I looked like a strawberry. Now I live in GA and only have a few in my area. Ya`ll be careful now, ya heah..........Pop

5. TheGardenAtJacksonSquare

TheGardenAtJacksonSquare Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Chickens are used in lots of places to test for West Nile. It is a simple blood test to show whether they have developed an immune response; they do not actually develop the disease, nor do they act as a carrier or vector.

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Outdated thread, closed at the request of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by