West of England Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pips&peeps, Jan 22, 2011.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I recently adopted two female West of England Geese from a local lady who received them from Holderreads last spring. Well, I haven't heard back from Holderreads about a male. Mille didn't think they had them anymore.

So, I am looking for anyone out there that may have gotten stock from the Holderreads and has an extra male. I am also looking for any information about them. The two I have do not look very strong in the legs and seem a bit unthrifty, but I thought I would give them a chance.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you pips& peeps, maybe all they need is some good TLC... I hope so. [​IMG]

3. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Jean, There is a bit of info online if you search for it. They are another auto sexing breed; like Pilgrims except that the geese are saddlebacks though sometimes a lesser expression of the pattern. Like some of the Oregon Mini geese only way bigger and bulkier. The photos I have seen all look like a great deal of substance for their size unlike the much smaller Shetlands. Some of the bulky exhibition Pilgrims would be similar as to size and type though not plumage and maybe not eye color. They've always seemed like a nice farmyard type goose though nobody has expressed much interest in them. A Canadian woman had some back in the early 2000s but she had to relocate and I've heard nothing about her being able to continue keeping geese. never heard of any others in North America except someone else connected them to Holderreads. I wonder if they are WOE from England, at some point, or if they are skillful recreations? You might try worming your two. If they are unthrifty and weak legged there's not much gonna hurt them more than they already are and if that's it you may have given them a new lease on life. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by