1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

West Pottsgrove, PA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MuddyBootsPA, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MuddyBootsPA

MuddyBootsPA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    New to the boards!

We recently moved into the area & are looking forward to starting our own homestead. We would like to keep a handful of hens (3-4) & are looking at what the zoning laws are for our area. I have read the ordinances for our zone & it does exclude livestock but does not specify. The neighbors behind us used to own chickens & there are also 3 free range roosters that roam around our development. We have two extended acres (a lot of woods) & .5 acre that we will be "farming". Any info would be appreciated. We are in West Pottsgrove Twp, PA.

Thanks in advance.
    - Muddy :)

2. carmelchickie

carmelchickie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I also live in west Pottsgrove Pa and when I called the township was told I could not have chickens on my property (hence why we are now in the process of moving.) However I do know the amount of acreage can be a deciding factor so I would call the township and ask about your specific property. Hopefully it works out for you! Especially since it doesn't sound like you plan on moving soon!

3. MuddyBootsPA

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks for replying!

4. carmelchickie

Feb 6, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    No problems hope it works out!

5. MuddyBootsPA

Feb 5, 2013
    Hey Carmelchickie,

Check the zoning in your area again. R1 zoning is approved for Agriculture, so if you are in R1 you are good for livestock. R2 & R3 zoning are no-gos. :-(

6. carmelchickie

Feb 6, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I forgot which zone I am in but when I called they told me no :( No worries though since I am in the process of selling my current home and moving to Lancaster. I also want a mini jersey cow and would have the room for her on my current property now anyways. Its just way to small lol I am really glad it worked out for you though! When are you planning on getting your chickens!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by