1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

West Suburbs of Chicago

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joeb1kanobi, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Joeb1kanobi

Joeb1kanobi New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi -

New member here from the Western Suburbs of Chicago. I am in unincorporated Wheaton and am looking to start a backyard flock. I have read a lot about it and think we are ready to actually do this. I have small kids that are really going to learn a lot from it, and we eat a lot of eggs so are really looking forward to fresh from the backyard eggs to go with our garden we started a few years back.

My enthusiasm has come to a road block though as I'm having a hard time finding the best place to buy our first batch of birds in or near our area. Any ideas from others? Looking to start with a small flock, maybe 4-5 chickens.

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

You might want chat with others in your area to find out where the best place to get chicks might be...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/37/illinois

Also, if you have a Tractor Supply Company nearby, they always carry chicks this time of year. Many feed stores as well carry chicks too. Lots of hatcheries let you order small amounts of chicks like My Pet Chicken, Chickens for Backyards, I think Ideal Hatchery lets you order small amounts of chicks as well. You can google chicken hatcheries on line and see who ships what.

Good luck finding your new babies and welcome to BYC!

3. Joeb1kanobi

Joeb1kanobi New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Called my tractor supply and they get new chick inventory almost everyday. Thanks!

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on your local feed stores for a few birds, most of them have chicks this time of year.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck getting those chicks either from TSC or some local breeders.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]Glad you joined us!

8. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    All chicks are adorable but, please look beyond that to the condition of the chicks. There are often chicks with defects, in the bins. Save yourself some heartache by really looking any over before buying.

As a new chick owner by pass the chicks with twisted or curled toes, beaks should be straight - not curved to the side, pay to attention for clear eyes - not squinting or oozing matter. Chicks shouldn't be coughing, or have open sores on body etc.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by