Western MA Berkshire County here!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by BLT79, Mar 5, 2013.

1. BLT79

BLT79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    Hello fellow Massers!
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to get chicks around here other than TSC and ordering from a hatchery online where I have to buy 15 or if I only want 6 they shipping fee is almost $50? We are just starting out and cannot have free range or roosters here. Thanks

2. leemamahen

leemamahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Western MA
    Not sure where in western mass you are but I am in Lee and the Carr Hardware store here is taking pre orders for chicks. You have to order 6. They have red star , Americaunas, white leghorn, rir, and black stars. Also Great Barrington Agway is going to be getting some in.

3. BLT79

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    Thanks. I am close enough to check into it! would love Americaunas!

4. leemamahen

Feb 25, 2013
    Western MA
    I wish I had just ordered from there. I bought ten chicks from tsc but I would love to have a couple Americaunas. But now if tsc gets any I would have to buy six and I don't have room for that many! [​IMG]

5. BLT79

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    Well if they do get Americaunas along with something else I like, we could meet there and split an order! I am going to call those places today, plus TSC in Pittsfield should be getting their new order in today!

6. leemamahen

Feb 25, 2013
    Western MA
    Definitely let me know, I would be interested in doing that! I asked the person I talked to on the phone from tsc if I could just buy 2 or 3 because I had already bought ten from them but they said no :(

7. BLT79

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    Ok TSC got their chicks in today. The only chicks different were the Speckled Sussex which I do not want. So I think I am going to place an order with Carr Hardware, because I also am not interested in what Agway is getting. So we could meet at the Carr Hardware. They are taking orders on top of what they are getting to sell in store. But if I order, I am guaranteed what I want! They get theirs from Murray McMurray. But they don't separate their Americauna's from their Aurucanas. Do you know if either of them are noisy or one better than the other? thanks

8. leemamahen

Feb 25, 2013
    Western MA
    I am not 100% sure. I was under the impression that true aurucanas are more difficult to get. I read up a little and they get rave reviews for having good personalities. If you are going to order them from Carr Hardware I would love to get two.

9. BLT79

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    I believe I am going to order from them. Order will be in March 17th or 18th. They are getting chicks to sell in the store I believe she said, but pre ordering guarantees you what you want! So let's wait out this upcoming weather and arrange a day and time to meet at store to combine our order! If I want 6 I can just add your two without having to get another batch of 6 right?

10. leemamahen

Feb 25, 2013
    Western MA
    That would be great. I believe you can order as many as you want but have to have at least six. I am so excited to be able to get a couple Americaunas! I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to get any this year. Thanks! Just let me know whenever you want to order. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by