Western Wa Coop Ventilation

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CoffeeNChicks, Aug 24, 2014.

1. CoffeeNChicks

CoffeeNChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Wondering how follks here deal with the high humidity here in winter.

Is there such a thing as too much ventilation on the rainy side of wa?

I have just under 8 sf of vent for a 4x8 coop. Three sf of that ventilation are sliding windows that can be closed when its windy.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

I don't live in WA, so I can't answer your question. However, good luck with finding the answer!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

They say 1 square foot of vent space per bird is good. How cold is your average over night low in the winter? Frost bite can happen even in temps hovering around 32 and even at 35 degrees Fahrenheit.

Try to keep your roost bar close to the floor so there is plenty of space for the moisture from the pooping and the breathing to rise high enough and out your vents. You don't want your birds up high where all the moisture is going to want to cling. So keep your ceiling as tall as you can. Keep the coop floor as clean and dry as you can so you are not adding to the moisture.

You might want to chat with others in your state thread on how they deal with your high humidity...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/717207/washingtonians-come-together-washington-peeps

Good luck! Hopefully someone from your area can give you some reassurance with this issue. :)

4. CoffeeNChicks

Aug 21, 2014
    Thank You Bantam Lover!

And TwoCrows! That's a big thread. Been looking thru there a couple months. Have already followed most of your advice. The venting is high. Roosts about 18" off floor.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That sounds perfect! I have vents on either side in my eaves. (I have a slanted roof.) So the air tends to get pulled in the low side and out the high side. This creates a nice constant positive air movement and picks up all of the moisture in my coop. I have never had issues with frost bite like I did when I used a tiny low ceiling coop.

Sounds like you should do well. Just keep an eye on things. You will know if your birds are wet in the morning. And if the very tips of any of the combs start to turn whitish, then you know you have the beginnings of frost bite and vent issues.

6. CoffeeNChicks

Aug 21, 2014
    Slanted roof here. Thinking all will be fine and will watch. Typically not that cold here tho it does get into teens for a short bit each year and and even single digits some years. Mostly 30 to 50 and humid with gray skies during winter.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your first winter - sounds as if your coop and ventilation will be adequate.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    welcome,glad your here[​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by