Western Washington state humidity

Chickabee22484

Chirping
Jan 6, 2018
Hello everyone! Silly question. I'm trying to hatch my first set of eggs and I've run across many conflicting opinions on what the humidity level should be. From what I've been able gather, it seems to vary based on local climates. So that being said, I'm wondering if anyone from western Washington can give me some guidance on what they've set their eggs at for their successful hatches? All guidance is welcome of course, but curious to see what folks closer to my area are doing.

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Soo.. I live on the coast of the Ca/Or border. We get extreme rain and my house stays 65% humidity. Outside is often 85-100% humidity. Kind dry this year so far but I thin k we got 100 inches of rain last year. I think it's completely irrelevant... other than how much water you will need to achieve YOUR desired humidity level INSIDE the incubator. Or in other words the size of reservoir you will need fill up.

My first hatch I ran 45% humidity for incubation and 65% to hatch. Got 85% hatch rate... on allegedly hard to hatch Swedish Flower Hens who are said to drown easily. Was very worried but it didn't happen.

I have read about dry incubation and that is what I prefer, essentially. But I think this is a bit relative to what you are hatching. White eggs have less pigment and will lose their internal moisture faster than a very dark brown egg that has it's pores more layered with it. So also choosing similar eggs can impact this. If there are a variety middle of the road might be good.

My Marans eggs.. I ran early incubation around 27%. Raised to 35-40 mid way, and 65% for hatch. 9/12 hatched, so 75%.

Since then... I start ALL my incubation's at 45%. Let them run dry on occasion (not daily) which is about 32% (zero water in wells inside MY home, this time of year) for a few hours. Then return to 45%. On day mid 18 is when I ALWAYS up the humidity, which takes me several hours to get right. I candle and sometimes mark the air cell on day 18, just so I can see if the external pip in in the correct location when it happens. But beyond them... I'm using scientific guidelines for hatching... which seem to work pretty darn well. My favorite resource (aside from the hatching 101 article) regarding most things hatching and incubating...
http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guide_english__030374800_0945_07012015.pdf

And that article..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatching-eggs-101.64195/

Silkies have been the hardest. Dealing with power outages is a huge bummer! But with exceptions to that type of accident hatches are pretty well. Even 14 out 15. :yesss:

My house stays about 60 degrees. I use extra blankets for extra insulation on the incubator(s) :oops:, making sure not to cover the ventilation holes.

My end vote is 40-45% for the first 18 days (a little higher for white eggs). And 65-70% for hatch. Always making sure to move the eggs to a new location in the incubator at least a few time during incubation to make up for warm or cool spots that might exist even with forced air. :old

Hope this is helpful. :)

And that you a great time hatching with much success! :jumpy:jumpy

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Soo.. I live on the coast of the Ca/Or border. We get extreme rain and my house stays 65% humidity. Outside is often 85-100% humidity. Kind dry this year so far but I thin k we got 100 inches of rain last year. I think it's completely irrelevant... other than how much water you will need to achieve YOUR desired humidity level INSIDE the incubator. Or in other words the size of reservoir you will need fill up.

My first hatch I ran 45% humidity for incubation and 65% to hatch. Got 85% hatch rate... on allegedly hard to hatch Swedish Flower Hens who are said to drown easily. Was very worried but it didn't happen.

I have read about dry incubation and that is what I prefer, essentially. But I think this is a bit relative to what you are hatching. White eggs have less pigment and will lose their internal moisture faster than a very dark brown egg that has it's pores more layered with it. So also choosing similar eggs can impact this. If there are a variety middle of the road might be good.

My Marans eggs.. I ran early incubation around 27%. Raised to 35-40 mid way, and 65% for hatch. 9/12 hatched, so 75%.

Since then... I start ALL my incubation's at 45%. Let them run dry on occasion (not daily) which is about 32% (zero water in wells inside MY home, this time of year) for a few hours. Then return to 45%. On day mid 18 is when I ALWAYS up the humidity, which takes me several hours to get right. I candle and sometimes mark the air cell on day 18, just so I can see if the external pip in in the correct location when it happens. But beyond them... I'm using scientific guidelines for hatching... which seem to work pretty darn well. My favorite resource (aside from the hatching 101 article) regarding most things hatching and incubating...
http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guide_english__030374800_0945_07012015.pdf

And that article..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatching-eggs-101.64195/

Silkies have been the hardest. Dealing with power outages is a huge bummer! But with exceptions to that type of accident hatches are pretty well. Even 14 out 15. :yesss:

My house stays about 60 degrees. I use extra blankets for extra insulation on the incubator(s) :oops:, making sure not to cover the ventilation holes.

My end vote is 40-45% for the first 18 days (a little higher for white eggs). And 65-70% for hatch. Always making sure to move the eggs to a new location in the incubator at least a few time during incubation to make up for warm or cool spots that might exist even with forced air. :old

Hope this is helpful. :)

And that you a great time hatching with much success! :jumpy:jumpy

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for all the information (and well written).:goodpost: I have the Hovabator with an automatic egg turner (will definitely move the eggs to different spots occasionally, didn't even think to do that). I started it more than 24 hours before I put the eggs in there and tried to play around with the humidity by adding a measured amount of water and seeing what it brought the humidity level to. I added 1 cup in channel 1 and it brought it up to 65%. After waiting for it to drop to 55% I added my eggs (this am @ 10). I just looked at it again and its 44% (3:30p). I'm going to take your advice and try to keep it between 40%-45% and no lower than 35% until day 18. Thanks for the good luck wishes! Fingers crossed :fl

Yes, I have the 1588 with turner. It's a great machine. People have especially noted extra warmth near the turner motor. I just move them around when I candle or add water for humidity.

I don't use my bottom water wells at all I made something fit in front of the turner. Actually it kinda like an origami foil thing. I use another incubator, my 1602N with no turner or fan (yet) for hatching. So I have another hatch always going inside the first incubator which makes for difficult cleaning of that plastic tray. When my foil gets cracked or yucky I toss it and make another one.

Hatching is messy. :sick I like to put paper towel under the eggs, Recently started using cabinet grippy roll on top for traction. And toss the whole mess away after hatch.

Can't wait to see pics of your chicks! ;) :pop

Back
Top Bottom