Western WV/Southeastern OH--RIR hen: laying!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Windy Ridge, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    I hate to give her up; she's a sweet bird who has just begun laying, and lays every day. She's easy to pick up and handle; docile, a sweetie.

The problem is that she has developed an obsession for foot feathers. She doesn't bother any other feathers, but she <i>will</i> try to pluck out the foot feathers of my Faverolles. (She doesn't bother the Silkies... either they're too low to the ground or just too evil, haha). I wouldn't recommend her to be housed with any feather-footed breeds, though.

The problem is not space; they have a very large coop, and free range over several acres. It's not protein; it's not methionone. I've tried no-pick solutions. It's just that Irma likes to eat foot feathers.

I hate to butcher a laying hen, but she has bloodied several Faverolles... then I have to take them out until they've stopped bleeding and clean them up so no one else will begin pecking. It's a cycle I don't want to repeat, not to mention the risk of infection (walking around in the litter).

SAVE THIS HEN!

Is there anyone out there nearby who would like a perfectly lovey girl who promises to be a good layer?

[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I wish I was closer. I am in SE Indiana, about an hr from Cincinatti. Ijust had a dog come through and take 3 more of my RIR. GRRRR. No more dog...and no more free roaming for a while I guess. I love my RIR, down to 5 hens now, and 3 roos. Somethings gotta give!

3. Windy Ridge

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Hooray!

I just emailed you!

[​IMG]

4. StoneBridge Farm

StoneBridge Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    SE Ohio
    Windy:
    Irma is awesome! Thanks for letting me take this great gal off your hands!
    Lori

5. Windy Ridge

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    I'm just so happy she has a good home--thanks again!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by