Westminster, MD Auction

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by kryptoniteqhs, Nov 23, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    does anyone know if theres anymore auctions in westminster this year? Or any within about an hour of Martinsburg, WV?

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
  3. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    We go to the poultry/produce auction in Greencastle, Pa.
    (Google shows that its only half an hour from you, straight up 81, but I thought it was farther)

Usually its every Wednesday starting at 6:00 pm, but during the Winter months its only 2 weeks each month. Their website doesn't show the Winter schedule, but you could call and ask. I had picked up a schedule, of course I can't find it now.

I buy a lot there and they randomly have people there testing birds for diseases. I currently have wayyy too many chicks to raise through the Winter thanks to the last few sales! I think 6-8 of my laying hens have come from there as well. Its also where I take my extras and roos to sell.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Thanks guys! I called the greencastle one, I've bought hay from them before. I believe they said the next 2 or the 2nd and 3rd wednesday in December. Sunangel, what kind of birds do you raise? What's the selection like at the auction?

5. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have a bit of everything it seems. My goal was to get one of each breed I liked and then a couple pretty/rare/different ones. The sale comes in handy with this.

I see a lot of red and black Sex Links go through there, but theres also been Partridge Rocks, Leghorns, Easter Eggers, RIR and NHR, Delaware, Phoenix and lots of barnyard mixes. As far as Bantams go, I have gotten OEGBs, Silkies, game mixes, either Mottled OEGB or Sebrights. A lot of game birds go through, must be a few people that raise them. Theres always a wide variety of Roos there. I bought a few hens with 6-10 chicks each there also.

Lots of pigeons, pheasants, geese, ducks, peacocks, turkeys and rabbits as well.

They usually start selling around 7-7:30 after the misc and veggies sell.

Chickens sell for a lot more in the Spring and Summer months I have noticed. They were going pretty cheap the last couple weeks, but sometimes you get more buyers there, so bidding wars happen. I got 4 EE mix pullets at the last sale for $2.25 each and they are 2-3 months old. I usually take a few to sell and get a check a week later for around $20.

ETA: This is my first year raising chickens, so I figured I would get a wide variety and see which I liked the best. Plus I wanted a lot of different chickens to keep the kids and DH interested, but also get enough eggs.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    oh im so excited that youve seen delawares go through there!!! I have not been able to find them anywhere! Except for the eggs and I havent got my incubator yet lol. Are you selling any of the chickens that you have? Like the rirs or sexlinks?

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I really need to either downsize my chicken collection or add onto my existing coop soon. I have 20 standards right now, and I think at least 10 that I want to keep in the juvie pen. But acccckkk, I have no clue which to sell or which I could part with lol.

Did you contact that lady near Gettysburg that has BR, RSL and Leghorns that ThreeBoysChicks posted about? I haven't had a chance to yet.

My RSL are a little on the older side, I would like to get a couple younger ones. I only have 1 RIR and she is one of my original group I ordered back in May.

I can't say there are many breeds that I haven't seen go through there at some point. Even the occasional Cochin. Lots of Barred Rocks and even some large Buff ones, not sure if they were buff Rocks or Orps.

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I went through and labled my chickens on My Pages as to where they came from. So you could see which ones I got at the auction [​IMG]

Cool think this puts me at 1000 posts [​IMG]

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i know theyre hard to part with....im still trying to collect more...

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    and yes i did call the lady and she is almost 2 hours from me...to far to go for sexlinks...mayb if they were those delawares ive been dying to get lol...but i know of a few places around here where i could get sexlinks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by