1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet and Dry Fowl Pox XXX Rated Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Aug 26, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Hen #1 - Both wet and dry pox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW! Poor baby. Did she survive?

Great pics!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Is she yours Kathy? If so, what's your plans with her?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She was alive last night, but very thin. Someone here suggested that PM another member about their treatment plan for wet pox, which I plan on doing.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She's mine... have a couple more with both wet and dry, a few with just the dry and a couple with just the wet. So I'm planning sending a PM to that person you mentioned.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    As for plans , I'm going to weigh, worm and dust them, of course, lol, then those that aren't eating or are loosing weight will get tube fed. Not too worried about the dry pox, like everyone says, that clears up on it's own.

-Kathy

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Kathy, I know what you are going through 12 fold because I had 12 poults in October 2012 that I put outside during mosquito season in Louisiana (without vaccinating them) and they got wet pox. This is what I did. This may not work for everyone but it worked for me. It takes patience, time and MANY sleepless nights. Kathy, these babies were literally blind during this time. I am happy to say that I did not lose 1 single poult. All of the pulled through. If I would have not devoted my time and 3 hours of sleep each night, I would have lost ALL of them. My motto is "No one dies on my watch."

My poults looked 3 times worst than your girl and survived. They literally have ooey goeey stuff oozing from every orface. :sick

This was my treatment plan. This is what I did. Please read below.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good Lord, I think I'm going to kill myself, lol. [​IMG] Looks like lots of things for me to try.

-Kathy

Edited to add: They ain't gettin' no baths! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    :yuckyuck LOL @ they ain't gettin' no baths. :lau It was a LOT to do Kathy but I couldn't just sit on my butt and not exhaust all avenues in trying to save them. I knew that if I at least tried to save them and they didn't make it, then I wouldn't feel guilty because I would have done my best to save them. I was lucky that all of them survived the worst wet pox attack in my history of owning birds. Because I had so many, I had to bath them. The poor babies weren't able to spruce up and preen, so I had to do it.:p And just think, I had a full time job in addition to the other zoo animals and still had time to do this. :th Please post if the other person that you have contacted has an easier method for treatment. Anything that is easier and less time consuming than this is a winner in my book.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's all I can do to treat them (tube, medicate, etc) twice a day, and I don't work, so I don't know how you did it. Well, it's time to get the tube, dust and wormer.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by