Wet baby chicks?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by halimak1, Sep 18, 2016.

1. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    I have 1 week old pasture raising broiler chicks. They are set up in their brooder with a normal feeder and waterer and a toasty heat lamp. The problem is that they apparently get soaking wet in the water and walk all over each other and I can't seem to keep them fluffy. I'm working on a new set up but would like some insight, tips or suggestions as to why they might not be staying fluffy. I did the same set up with ducks and I know they are sloppy with water, but it seems these chickens are worse! I dunno, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could put your waterer on a tray, covered with hardware cloth. In theory, the excess water will go through the hardware cloth and into the tray, rather than the floor of your brooder. Also, adding an absorbent litter for the brooder may also help (wood shavings, covered with kitchen towel - something like that).

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Absolutely, get that water bottle hanging or put it up on a couple of bricks or some wood to get it at shoulder height. Wet chicks, as you know are at risk of disease.

1 person likes this.
  5. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    Thanks everyone! I have moved them out in the grass (protected of course)and only put them together in the brooder at night. I'm sure my problem was due to my brooder being too small. They are happy hunting tiny bugs and fluffy again! I'm definitely working on a better brooder and raising the water!Thanks again for sure!

6. silkieman123

silkieman123 Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    My chicks have some of their adult feathers and they are getting big. We recently drilled holes in water bottles and put watering nipples in it. But now when they drink from it they get their heads wet. Is this ok because they are much bigger than new borns. I would say they are about 4 weeks old.

7. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Short term, elevate the water-er so they can *just* reach it to drink, but can't jump up into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by