1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet Bedding Solutions/ or just alternate/modified temporary housing solutions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by werewolf38, Sep 11, 2012.

1. werewolf38

werewolf38 Out Of The Brooder

Currently I have 4 Rouen Ducklings that are 6 days old. I have them in a 33L x 15W x 12H plastic storage container. The bottom is filled with wood shavings, I have a 1 quart bottle waterer(1 pk Probiotic, 1pk Electrolyte, 500mg Niacin/Gal), plus a small stainless steel dish with plain water. I also have a small dish with corn mash on it. Tried chopping up lettuce, and carrots but they really didn't seem to eat either one. I am cleaning out the container almost twice daily because they soak the wood chips and have no dry place to even stand. Any ideas/solutions to keep it dryer or is this status quo until they can go outside into the house I am building for them? The lamp is a 75 watt bulb and there is a big round thermometer that is blocked by the light on the upper side of the bin. The ducklings are highly mobile and are constantly in the water. They seem to take cat naps too every so often. There is also wire cloth on the top that really isn't visible in the photo.

[​IMG]

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Ducks are really messy so there realy isn't too much you can do besides clean them out alot. I would stick to just one water. Remove the dish one and that will stop them from trying to swim in it. It is normal for young ducks to nap alot. As for the food i would be trying to get a starter food designed for ducks. It has the right nutrients in it for their growing needs. You can keep trying treats some they will love and some they wont ant anything to do with, Each duck is different when it comes to what they like.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. werewolf38

Lol Thank you and how about handling them? They obviously have a cow when I try to pick them up. Any suggestions on getting them accustomed to me? Not looking for a lap duck but don't want them to have a canary when I go near them either.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ducks are super messy. When i had just two, it wasn't too bad. Then i ordered 10 ducklings - wow. i kept switching them to ever bigger containers. At one point they lived in our shower. Then i used a huge plastic dog kennel, opened into two pieces (top and bottom). Had their sleeping quarters on one side the the water and food on the other. They were just a ton of work until i got them outside. They still do require more work and maintenance than any of my other critters. But at least it is tolerable once they are outside.

None of my ducks have ever wanted to be picked up. Even as ducklings they would wiggle like crazy to get out of my hands. But they love those hands when i'm bringing them treats. My baby ducks got Flockraiser, mashed hard boiled eggs, and shredded lettuce.

5. werewolf38

Thank you, sounds like I will be doing some cleaning for the next several weeks until they get feathers and can be outside.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I learn't not to handle mine too much. Muscovey drakes for some reason when handled when young are super sweet but then turn into terrors when they reach puberty.:eek: I find then to be less of a problem if i handle then less when younger. Not sure about other breeds though.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It isn't so much that it's more you must ensure with drakes they don't view you as submissive to them, you must be 'top dog' (er.. duck lol) i have raised a lot of drakes and they know to respect me, heck even a stern word is enough.. that line must not be crossed.

As for the OP i agree reduce all the waterers that is setting you up for a pond lol and next, perhaps try pellets.. the wood ones>? i switched my ducks over to them they are fantastic! As well a saucer under the waterer helps as well, i prefer the ceramic types you put plants on but overall ducks are messy, messy creatures.. especially with water. At a young age there is little one can do to reduce that.

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Trust me I am not the slightest submissive to them. They can just be nasty butts sometimes. That's what works for me.

9. werewolf38

In regards to the pellets I am still in the process of building their outside house. Pretty much a "tractor" type. a 4x8 house set about 18 inches off the ground on 4x4 runners that I beveled on each end. I was thinking about the deep bedding where you are actually composting the bedding in the place. Though the wood pellet method sounds like a good alternative. Though plan on having the food and water separated from the actual sleeping area.Was thinking of attaching a box to the front with wood sides but a fine cloth wire on the bottom and maybe some heavier wire over that to reinforce it and deter predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by