Wet Belly Feathers Won't Dry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KatGold, Jan 9, 2014.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Good Morning!

The polar vortex brought cold temps and rain to us (and most of you). Somewhat unrelated, my Aussie puppy finally caught up with one of my chooks. She always chases them, but in a joyful way. Yesterday, she started nibbling at one with her front teeth. Kind of like Tom Hanks and the baby corn in the movie "Big," know what I mean?

She didn't hurt my beautiful and very best Swedish Flower (big sigh…why is it always the favorite ones?), but she defeathered her back a bit and she's a little raw, but not much.

I brought her in because she was soaked and filthy, washed her with warm water (no soap), dried her mostly with a hair dryer and put her in a crate in the warm bathroom.

By the end of the day, her belly feathers were still wet because she was perching on the edge of the water bowl. So, I put her back in the coop with the rest of the gals. This morning, I checked on her, and oddly, her belly is still wet. She seemed a little unsteady on her feet, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas what could be happening? It's too weird to not enquire about.

Many thanks!

2. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Have you tried wiping her down with a paper towel to check for blood?

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I would bring her in and get her dried with the blow dryer again. They don't enjoy it, but since it's so cold out, it's necessary. I have a hot/cold setting on my dryer, and I switch it back and forth so I don't burn their skin when I dry them.

4. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Well, by the time I found these posts, the chicken was taken. No more chicken. Too bad, she was a pretty little thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by