Wet bulb reading

1sttimechick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Massachusetts
Can anyone tell me how to read a wet bulb to measure relative humidity? My brinsea incubator has a digital celcius readubg and the wet bulb thermometer has a farenheight reading how do i compute the relative humidity?

First you have to have a thermometer that is DRY and a thermometer that has a "sock" on it that is WET. Then you take the readings of both and match them on a chart, follow the readings across and down till you find the intersect point and that will be the humidity level.
Across the top of the chart will be either the WET bulb reading OR the DRY bulb and down the left side of the chart will be the other reading .Here is a chart example.

http://quackershomepage.tripod.com/chart.html
I believe the DRY is across the top and the WET is down the left side, on this example. Select each of your temperatures, follow them down and across till they meet and that will be your humidity.
I hope I haven't confused you too much ;-)

Now since you have one thermometer that reads Celcius and your WET bulb reads in Farenheit you get to have more fun. There are charts that read in Celcius and there are charts that read in Farenheit but I have never seen one that has a cross of the two... SOOO you got to convert One of the temps. to the other value. WITH ANOTHER CHART. Keeps gettin better doesn't it?
Simply explained as I know it 0 degrees Celcius = 32 degrees Farenheit and if you follow THIS Chart you can change your Celcius reading into Farenheit degrees and THEN take those Farenheit numbers Back to the first chart I gave you to come up with your Humidity. A long road to follow but it will get you there. http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html
Hope You can decipher some of my garbled giberish to come up with a productive product to decode your Relative Humidity for your incubator woes. Good Luck! If you have any further Questions just ask, I'm sure I can confuse you more ;->

AND FINALLY. This is how you do it if you don't have a chart.

f.gif

OldGuy43;
No, not in this case, although a sling works on the same principal. What I am talking about is a spirit thermometer inserted through one of the EXAUST air holes in the incubator with a WICK that is soaking up water, from any source, covering the thermometer resevor bulb(where the colored liquid is stored at the base of the thermometer). The evaporation process produces a lower temperature on that thermometer.
In the use of a sling psychrometer, the instrument is twirled around and the DIFFERANCE between the dry bulb and the wet bulb is looked up on ANOTHER CHART to give you the DEW POINT, or the temp. at which dew will form on a surface. As a QC inspector in a nuclear plant I used these daily to determine if a surface was dry enough to apply ANY type of coating, paint or otherwise, on steel OR concrete, and have it adhear to the surface properly. You don't paint wet surfaces and expect it to stay. A sling can also be used to find the humidity of an area, but the guy doing the twirling would have to be mighty small to get in that incubator!
Just another OldGuy-iamthehuffer

Back
Top Bottom