1. mdnaturalmama

mdnaturalmama New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    I noticed while my chickens were out walking around this morning that some of their rear-ends look wet/poopy and gross. Is this a problem or normal? They are freedom rangers and a little over a month old. My DH and I are new to chicken raising. [​IMG]

2. WestCoast Hen

WestCoast Hen New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    I hope someone has an idea about this. One of my 11 brown leghorns has had a wet bum for 5 days now and today its starting to get red. Being a mum and still changing diapers, I was thinking of cleaning it and putting some penatin on it.
    Any ideas??

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    How old are these birds? It sounds to me like it might be gleet. It'a a yeast infection and it causes a white nasty discharge from the vent. I don't know what the penatin is, but am assuming it is for diaper rash. if it is, then sure, it can't hurt. As a woman, at some point you've probably gone through the joys of a yeast infection so know what's what. Not a lot of fun shall we say? To treat, you should start giving them a good probiotic in their water or sprinkled over their feed. This will help to balance out the gut and hopefully get rid or it. I use a human probiotic called FloraGen3. It's a little pricey at $25 a bottle but it has a long shelf life if kept in the fridge and you shouldn't need the whole bottle of 30 capsules. You'd have to ask for it at the pharmacy as it has to be kept cold. If you decide to go this route, just open the capsule and sprinkle it over their feed once a day. I generally mix it into their feed by hand before adding the food to their feeder, this way I know it all gets covered with some of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by