wet chick infested with ants

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick_magnet, Jun 24, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    One of my chicks didn't get back in the coop today after a hard rain. I saw it after teh rain has slowed down and put him under coop because other chicks tried to stand on him and peck his head [​IMG]. now under the coop alot of ant is not him and he is still wet what can i do and will he make it through the night?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh bummer. Take him in, get the ants off and dry it. Then sneak it back in the coop before the others wake up.

To warm him and get the ants off, I'd try a semi-warm bath, followed by a blow dry.

How old is the chick?

3. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    Quote:and try to get rid of the ants under the coop!

4. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    Quote:two months old. I have never seen ant there before during the day light hours. what can i do to get rid of the ants

5. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    diatomaceous earth! its safe for the chickens and terrible for the fleas, ants, and other bad insects. most feed stores and online poultry places sell it.

6. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    he made it through the night thanks everyone. Now i just gotta find where they sell diatomaceous earth. local feed store doesn't sell it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by