Wet, Cold, Bedraggled...Should I intervene?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenChaser9, Mar 11, 2017.

1. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    SO it rained most of the day and the Chickens went out an did their normal thing getting soaked in the process. It is supposed to get colder tonight and possibly drop down into the low 30s. What if anything should I be doing to help make sure they are not miserable tonight after sundown? The coop is well shielded from drafts/wind. Any tips or thoughts welcome.

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    are they soaking wet still or have they started to dry off?

3. ChickenChaser9

Feb 3, 2016
    Wet.

4. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    If you don't mind them inside and you are really worried, you could take an old towel and dry them off one by one, or use a hairdryer on cool. If you can't do this, then you could use a heat lamp for tonight, or another heating device of some sort. The issue with this is 1. Electricity, and 2. Fire hazard.
    Also, if you live in a generally cool area and your chickens are used to very cold temperatures, it shouldn't be that much of an issue, but based on what you said the weather was in your area, I don't think you do. (For the last two days in New England, we've had a blizzard and very high winds, with the high being maybe 20 degrees Fahrenheit.)

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Well it depends on whether they are wet to the skin or just surface wet. Hard to get feathers thoroughly soaked unless they are submerged in a bucket. Usually the down under the outer feathers is still dry. If not, a heat lamp would help dry them out in their house.

6. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    This too [​IMG]

7. ChickenChaser9

Feb 3, 2016
    It seems like the under feather fluff is semi dry. Perhaps I am worried over nothing.

8. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    It's pretty easy to do that, and I have done it quite a few times myself. [​IMG] All of the other suggestions wouldn't hurt, and it would probably be pretty easy to just go out with an old towel and slightly wipe off the water on the top of their feathers if you want to be reassured. Good night and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by