Wet cough. Tylan not helping

Zupants

Chirping
Jul 30, 2022
Hi! I’ve gone through several threads trying to find an answer for this one. So here I am. I originally got ten hens. They were 10 weeks old. The next day I noticed two had runny noses, so the lady I bought them from gave my Tylan powder for them. I got them all back to health with scrambled eggs every day, tons of herbs, garlic, etc etc.. then one day one chicken died. (My prettiest one) then another one got so sick… then another one got so sick with the same thing the other one had. Barely could breathe. So then… I got three chickens to replace the ones I lost. (This is all over a span of 3 months btw) well, guess what… those three chickens ended up getting sick 🤦🏻‍♀️. Meanwhile, my originally flock so have 5/6 laying. I quarantined the new ones and gave them Tylan powder. They got better, started eating, drinking and taking care of themselves. But now they all have this croupy (wet) cough. And I’m worried they are going to get the other flock sick if I put them back in. This whole experience has been so exhausting. I’ve raised several chickens before and have never lost any like this. My 9 year old daughter is traumatized with losing all her good hens. Can anyone recommend what to do? Do I do another round of Tylan powder? That stuff is he’s to find! I do garlic and probiotics in their water. I do scrambled eggs with various herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary… vetrx Isn’t working. I’m exhausted at the amount of Time, energy and money this is taking from my life. They are not laying either. At what point do I throw in the towel? Please don’t judge… I’ve given these chickens everything I have) and learned a hard lesson about purchasing chickens from a small town farm. (Never again!) any advise is helpful. Thank you in advance.
-Tiffany

Hi Tiffany. Welcome to BYC.
I'm so sorry for your stress. Keeping chickens should be fun.
It seems to me that this seller knew, that there was a respiratory problem, as she had Tylan on hand, and was quick to make it available.
I know you've done what you can. Tell her that she has to take them back. All of them, or you'll report her to your state agricultural department.
Before you get anymore chicks, you'll need to scrub everything with bleach.
I don't know what they have, or if it will linger in soil or on surfaces, but I'd be afraid to add more chicks for a year, at least. I imagine you could get a soil test. Ask your local agricultural agent.
I'm so sorry that the seller was so unscrupulous.

Hi Tiffany. Welcome to BYC.
I'm so sorry for your stress. Keeping chickens should be fun.
It seems to me that this seller knew, that there was a respiratory problem, as she had Tylan on hand, and was quick to make it available.
I know you've done what you can. Tell her that she has to take them back. All of them, or you'll report her to your state agricultural department.
Before you get anymore chicks, you'll need to scrub everything with bleach.
I don't know what they have, or if it will linger in soil or on surfaces, but I'd be afraid to add more chicks for a year, at least. I imagine you could get a soil test. Ask your local agricultural agent.
I'm so sorry that the seller was so unscrupulous.
I appreciate your time in responding to this. What a hard lesson to learn and a mess. 😭

I appreciate your time in responding to this. What a hard lesson to learn and a mess. 😭
Again, I am so sorry. I can't help but think the seller knew. I know there are threads on byc, by owners who keep a closed flock, due to respiratory illnesses. It isn't necessarily a death sentence for the entire flock, but you won't be able to bring any new chicks in, or rehome any either.

Any update?
Hi! Thanks for checking in. I made contact with the seller and she refunded my money. Not a lot considering all the supplements I bought and the time, energy and quarantine items for extra pens I had to buy as well. I chose to keep my remaining 4, just lost another one two days ago. I have two that are laying. One that never started to lay 🤷🏻‍♀️ Like her sibling? I know I’m on borrowed time with these three. I called the state department and after hearing the cost of testing I decided not too. It would cost me around 60-90 bucks. I don’t have the extra funds to do this right now. I will be starting completely over in the spring. New coop, new pen, new chicks in a new area of the yard. I learned a hard lesson this year. I will never buy pullets from a farm again and just raise my own chicks. This has been the most stressful, emotional season of raising chickens ever. Looking forward to the spring time and I have all fall and winter to gather the materials I need to start over with ten cute babies. 🙌🏼

Any update?
I realized my original thread didn’t say what happened in the coming days. I had to end up culling 4 of them in one day. (While I was sick) because I didn’t want my remaining ones getting it. I thought I was doing good, because I cleaned out the entire coop, threw away the bedding, sprayed everything down with bleach, got new mulch. A huge truckload full. I was feeling good, then I noticed just a couple days ago one hen layed a soft egg, and she was in the same spot for a few hours. I immediately quarantined her, so my daughter could say goodbye, again! And by the time my daughter came home from school she was already gone. When I picked her up I noticed her breathing was not normal and raspy. Such a shame. The lady I bought them from swore all her flock was doing great and the ones she had sold, but talking to another big poultry farmer in the area said otherwise. This person told me they went to her farm and wouldn’t get out of the car because it was so bad after they saw two dead hens. (Yea I’m using pronouns to protect this poultry farmers name) 😜 This person told me in confidence and I don’t want to break trust. So, now I know. I’m not going crazy or a bad poultry person. I know now I got a bad bad flock.

Back
Top Bottom