1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet/Damp floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fayjim2, Nov 8, 2013.

1. fayjim2

fayjim2 New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Hello I,m new to the site so please bare with me. I built a very nice 8 by 12 coop. raised 10 inches off the ground. Put a sloped tarpaper @ metal roof. Put in nice fan up high for summer air flow to the outside. Put in a floor level vent in the wall. Winter coming so I blocked both of those holes with blue foam board. I put a heat lamp with a timer I installed a timer on day light from 7 to 7. Ok well the darn floor is always damp We use pine shavings. My wife cleaned the coop 2 weeks ago and put down a lot of pine shavings, After 3 days it was matted down and turned nasty brown wet look. I wanted to blame the water tank. but thats not it. Is ventilation the problem I mean its damp even in the corners . I even insulated the ceiling and 2 foot down the sides. HELP Old Jim Athol Idaho

2. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes - ventilation is still needed. Heat lamp is warming the air which then makes condensation occur.
    Open up a little and allow air in / moisture out.

3. AlabamaSweetpea

AlabamaSweetpea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama
    I'm trying to finish up my coop now. I have windows covered with hardware cloth and when it rains, the floors get damp. I had osb and tried to cover it with rolled vinyl, but that didn't work out too good, so now I've got boards that I'm gonna lay and then caulk around the edges. I hope that keeps the floor from falling through. I haven't even put a chicken in there yet!

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Your vents need to be up high at the roof line. This will move moist air out. You can close off lower vents and leave your pop door open for air circulation if you wish. Kinda after the fact but adding windows lets in natural light as well as can aid with drying. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd open all the vents, stop using the heat lamp, and make sure the waterer isn't leaking
    You also didn't mention how many birds you have in there.

It shouldn't be over 20-25

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by