Wet eye?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalpro24, Jun 12, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    One of my buff ducklings all around her eye looks wet. It's been like this for about two days now. It doesn't seem to be bothering her. She's under a heat lamp for most of the day. She's about 2 weeks of age. Anything I can do or anybody ever had a duck like this?
    Here are some pics of it today, 6-13-11:
    [​IMG]
    Her normal side.
    [​IMG]
    Other side.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I realized that her "pool" she swam in during the hour isn't really deep enough for dipping her head all the way in. Now she has a pool that is deep enough.
    Here's some of today,6-14-11:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She seems to be getting worse and now all the feathers around her eye are going away.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Anyone?!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Does she have access to water deep enough to clean her face in?? She may have a tiny spec of foreign material trapped under an eyelid causing her some irritation.

4. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    No not in their brooder. I let them out for about an hour a day, They swim in a "pool" that's deep enough for that. Thanks for the input I will figure something out for her so she can rinse her face in the brooder and se4e if she gets better in the next day or so.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Swimming every day is a good idea when they dont have deep water in the brooder... they can make too much mess in there given the chance. Mine dont have water deep enough all the time- By the time I get home form work most of the waterers are empty - so I make sure they do swim every night while I clean out the brooders so they can clean their faces.

She should be able to clean out her eyes given a few minutes swim time- but if not it could be something else bothering her.

6. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Alright. Let me watch her and see if anything improves. I can start letting them out more than once a day. If she doesn't get better I'll let you know and we can figure out what's wrong. Thanks so much. [​IMG]

7. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Here's some pics. Hope they help.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It doesnt appear to be reddened or swollen in any way... just wet as you say. You could try to find some eye drops maybe- but I dont know if it would have any effect- She how she is in another day after having the deeper water to dunk her head in... After having a swim - does it dry up and then look wet agin..or is it always wet looking??

9. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Anyone?

10. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    it kind of looks crusty. maybe take a q-tip and gently wash any crusties away and see if that starts to help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by