Wet Feather

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 808ducks, Oct 18, 2019.

1. 808ducks

808ducks In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2019
    Hilo, Hawaii 96720
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the help with my eggbound girl. She is super happy and healthy now!

I wanted to see if any of you guys also have any experience with wet Feather? My favorite girl has had this condition since we got her - likely because the farm kept them in pens without access to enough water for ducks. She has gotten better than she was when we got her ( only her head would have enough oil on it to be water resistant), but it's been about a year, and I was hoping that her wing feathers would be coming in???

I'm happy most of her is now water resistant and she can enjoy ducky things like swimming and hunting our guppies in the pond, but I wanted to see if any of you had an idea of how to help her get to 100%? I read they molt 2 times a year and you want to keep them out of the water while molting so their feathers can get set up- is this true? It rains here almost every day in the winter and she lives to take baths, so that's could be challenging...

Here are some pics 20191018_074257.jpg 20191018_074307.jpg 20191018_074303.jpg

Jpat likes this.
  2. BReeder!

BReeder! Free Ranging

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    following out of interest, but I cannot provide any advice. I hope the experts chime in.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She is molting and not wet feather...:frow
    Nothing to worry about..Let her bath and continue to do as usual. :frow

4. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    In Dave Holderreads book he suggests mites or cloged/infected oil gland as potential causes for chronic wet feather. Hope that helps.

Jpat, casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. KaleIAm

KaleIAm Songster

Jul 13, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I don't have any experience successfully treating wet feather. My vet told me to add a tablespoon of fresh ground flaxseed to our ducks food daily, so I've been doing that for over 9 months and it hasn't helped. She's finally molting after 2 years of horrible feather quality. I'm sorry I have nothing to say besides flax didn't help us.

Can you tell me what breed your duck is? She looks exactly like my Plantain.

Attached Files:

Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hold smokes....:eek:
    Highly doubtful...:frow

HuffleClaw likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Jpat likes this.
  8. 808ducks

808ducks In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2019
    Hilo, Hawaii 96720
    Thanks, we checked those and she has tears of oil when she preens

9. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    Then if it were my duck i would treat for mites as they can be hard to see. Pyrethrum is made from Chrysanthemum, certainly won't cause any harm.

casportpony and Jpat like this.
  10. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Definitly check for mites!

i picked up two horrible looking hens last spring. They were wet, tired, and beaten. Worst looking ducks i ever seen. They even stunk.

i fed them water fowl feed with nutritional yeast and cat food on top, And fed meal worms as treats a few times aday. plus gave them a kiddie pool

it took about 3 weeks before they whent into a molt, and about 6 weeks before they were presentable again. more protein helps them through a molt

Goodluck! You have a very pretty duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: