Wet feather?

Mother of a Pekin

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2022
Hi all, my 11 week old Pekin has just finished a moult and the new feathers on his chest are starting to appear, yestetday I noticed these looked a bit yellow and today they seem to be waterlogged. Is this normal for new feathers that haven't been preened much or am I seeing "wet feather"? It's very hot here at the moment so I'm hoping I don't have to deny him his pool for any length of time as I've read that's part of the treatment

Attachments

• 20220114_110643.jpg
    20220114_110643.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 11
It does not have the appearance of a wet feather to me.
If he has not developed his full feather coat this may be allowing some of the water to soak the down feathers.
Pekins also tend to be lazy when it comes to hygiene so poor oil distribution on the feathers can be relatively common.
Poor oil distribution on the feathers will allow debris and water to penetrate the feathers and create a dirty/wet look.
More so on the belly, since that is the largest body area in direct contact with dirt.
Encouraging bathing will stimulate preening , and help clean dirt off the feathers

It does not have the appearance of a wet feather to me.
Pekins tend to be lazy when it comes to hygiene so poor oil distribution on the feathers can be relatively common.
Poor oil distribution on the feathers will allow debris and water to penetrate the feathers and create a dirty/wet look.
More so on the belly, since that is the largest body area in direct contact with dirt.
Encouraging bathing will stimulate preening activities, and help clean dirt off the feathers

Back
Top Bottom